New old scam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Oct 10, 2001.

1. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Bill-

Yeah, he never did put up a proper index.html, you had to add the grant.html. That's what led me to believe he just copied and pasted it from another site. If you have ever looked at those "make money on your home computer sites" thats how they work. Well, I guess I should clarify that...that's how a lot of them I have looked at work. You Spam for them, they collect and pay(?) commission.

What do you think of Lesko's book? Is it easy to follow and understand?

He seems kinda wild on TV, just wondering how he writes.

BTW- I owe you a fax...I have just been at a client site during normal business hours the past few days, don't want to bug you at night. I am sure you are busy enough as it is.

Shawn

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You can't view the source code. A little box pops up.

Bank accounts are like credit cards, they have to start with certain numbers and follow a certain sequence. other than that, you can make the stuff up.
    I used the name (don't laugh) Itlaff Szbynski, 1234 Main St., Anytown, VA, 23301 I figured Virginia information would match up with my ISP (it's on CAIS).
    The zip codes and area codes may have to match up with the state. I used old Bank of Virginia routing number (they were bought by Signet, then by First Union, then, most recently, by Wachovia. Then I just made up a long account number and put 0001 on the end of it.

So, it only checks to see if you follow a certain format, not whether the account exists.

Is there any way to check on the third party? My guess is it's an individual. Is that server a commercial service? I know didly squat about that stuff. I'm always pestering the guys at my ISP "what's this?" where did this email come from?" hahahahahaha!! They think I'm just a ditzy blonde and explain everything to me. ;)

3. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Breeze..instead of right-clicking did you try VIEW then SOURCE from the title bar menu..sometimes you can get around it that way. if that doesn't work, go to File, Save, then Open it up in MS Word. Word will let you view the source as it actually has a built in HTML Editor.

Shawn

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Will try! Thanks!

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yeah, view and source worked. The CGI is a mailform script that emails the bank information to a hidden email address.

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Shawn:
    Well, I'm going to have to back water a bit here. I said I would put his whole scam up on a webpage for everybody to see for themselves what they would get. I'm not going to do that now, and here is why. It just wouldn't be fair or ethical for me to do that since what you get is a 16 page booklet that pretty well defines how you go about applying for a grant and gives lots of resources of where to apply.

I have to go by the real golden rule, and I wouldn't want somebody to put up my secrets for the public to view for free, so I'm not going to do that to somebody else. It's a matter of ethics.

If the kid was obviously ripping people off, then I would have done just exactly that because I would do everything I could to put a scam artist down.

I personally think his price is too high for what you get, but that don't make it a rip-off. What he charges for his material is his business. All that counts is that he delivers something of value for whatever price he charges. I think the kid is doing that.

And on top of that, I like to give my customers lots and lots of value for their money. I want my customers to go on down the road feeling like they got every penny of their money's worth and then some to boot. If I can't deliver that, then I don't want to do business at all.

So no, I can't realistically say the kid is ripping people off. The people who ripped us off delivered absolutely nothing at all for our money. That's a rip-off. This kid delivers something of value for your money. That's not a rip-off.

So I'm not going to put his material up on the web so others can see it for free. That's not fair.

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Shawn:
    You can fax me anytime up to about 10:00 P.M. Central time. No problem at all. When I answer the phone and hear the fax tones, then I switch on the fax machine.

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think I will put up a site about how to get cash from insurance companies. I will charge $25 to download the file, and it will tell how to file a claim, and where the (insurance) unclaimed property information is, and how to contact them. I will use SSL for bank info, though. Maybe we can create our own version of verisign, and put up a logo to inspire confidence.

How's that sound?

Y'all can be my affiliates, K?

shawn can be the webmaster, and Bill can host the site on his gazillion servers. I will write the copy. :)