new, please help...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by phxbbw6ft1, Nov 1, 2001.

1. phxbbw6ft1

phxbbw6ft1 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new to credit repair. I'm 24 yrs old. I have about $2000 of crap on my credit, that includes a $ 600 judgement from my first apt. I'm ready to start repairing my credit now. I wish I had known how important it was from 18 on..... But u can't change the past. :( I just ordered my Big 3 credit reports. When I receive them, then what? How do I go about paying these things off. Do I call the CC companies and ask if I pay in full will they take off the neg? Or how is this done? If I do pay them off will people give me credit ( like renting an apt, or buying a house? ) Any help will be useful. Thanks so much :)

Melissa
    phxbbw6ft1@aol.com

2. uniondiva

uniondiva Well-Known Member

Welcome Melissa,

The first step is to get your credit reports and see what is actually there. Then begin the dispute process and have the CRA's begin to have to verify all your negative information. Search the threads for dispute, deleting etc. You will find a lot of information.

Congratulations for starting out so young in your attempt to get it right. I am almost 40 and going through the same thing (Big sigh).

3. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Do the validations first. They may not be able to validate the debt.

Here are some rules to follow: the collection agencies always lie so only deal with them in writing so you have proof. When you offer to settle, do not admit the debt. There are some good letters here that have excellent wording. If they agree to delete in exchange for payment, get it in writing before you pay. Otherwise, they will not delete and they will claim there was no such agreement.

Get your reports, review them, and then post again, asking for specific advice. And, read previous posts while you are waiting. The info you need is here.