New to board, need advice!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 7, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I have been reading for a few days and I am impressed with the knowledge of the board members here and also the willingness to share and help each other.

I am hoping some of you will be interested in helping me get started cleaning up my credit.

I have 2 "mortgage" copies of my credit report, meaning they pulled all three bureaus in the one report. It is a combined report for my hubby and myself. I have not seen other credit reports.

We had a bk 7/91, which should fall off now. I am planning to ask to make sure it is removed.

We have several state tax liens that have all been satisfied. Has anyone had any experience with these? Apparently I am supposed to file something in the court, but for now I have letters from the Ohio AG stating they are released. Can I just mail copies of these in to the cra's without actually going through the court process?

My husband also has several judgements, and we have many late pays,and one charge off.

On the bright side, we have an auto loan (11/2000) and Sears Plus (2/2001)(for large purchase only, turned down for regular card), a department store account over 10 years old, all with perfect payment records. My husband used to do remodeling, and 3 customers listed him on their account to pick up supplies for jobs, and they are showing as positive in my husbands name.

I am planning to write to each cra and request a report for each of us, plus include a dispute letter. I tried the online dispute form with TU as recommended by someone here.

We do not have any actual credit cards, and I see that inquiries are a problem. Any suggestions on which cards to apply for? Should I wait until I know the bk is removed?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I have a long trip ahead of me!!

Thanks

Terri

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hi Terri,

I can help with the tax leins - been there.

Make copies of the letters amd semd them to the clerk of court. Wait about a week, and call to make sure they have changed the status on the public record. Then just dispute the tax liens with the CRA's as "inaccurate" without giving any details.

You can also fax copies of the letters, along with a copy of your most recent credir report and a cover letter asking the CRA's to change the status, but that will screw up any disputing you do later if you want to try to get them removed early (it can be done). They stay on for 7 years from the date they are paid.

Whatever you do, take care of the court record first. That's a public record that anyone can view, and you don't want to put it off.

Welcome to the board :)

breeze