new to this. are they in violation

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by gmaof1, Aug 20, 2003.

1. gmaof1

gmaof1 Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone! I am new to battling the credit report blues and am not real sure I did things the right way.
    I started with the "original creditor", mainly medical bills. Time is up and I've heard nothing.
    I have since sent a few of the same requests for validation to the collection agencies. (still time for them to validate).
    It is my understanding now, after spending $84.00 on postage, that the original creditors are not bound by the 30 day time limit for validation. Is this true?
    What about utility companies that report directly to the credit bureaus. Are they bound by the requiremtent to report a debt as "disputed" once they have recieved a dispute? If so, can I sue?
    Finally, how about them judgements? I have several from 5 & 6 years ago. Is there any way to get them off my credit report without waiting 7 years or paying them in full?
    OOppps - sorry, one more question -
    I sent demands to all 3 collection agencies for several debts, some of which were listed as paid. They, in turn, sent me a generic letter saying that they had received my request and sent it on to another bureau, or requested even more verification of who I am. (I did not sent anything but a copy of mail to my present address!) Considering I have received something from them, does this give them more than the 30 days from the day they received the original request?
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer info. There are too many websites with conflicting info making a already frustrating situation even more so!
    Have a great day!

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

OC's aren't bound to the validation requirements of the FDCPA, but you might check your state laws. There is no 30 day time limit for CA's or OC's - that is a misconception. They only must stop collecting until they do validate.

They are bound, but you will need to dispute thru the CRAs.
    No personal experience, but some have had some luck. You will at the very least want to get the old addresses associated with those judgments off your report before you dispute.

OOppps - sorry, one more question -
    All three collection agencies? Maybe you mean all three Credit Reporting Agencies?

Congratulations on find one of the best! You might want to look thru the INTRO posts at the top of the board. Lots of excellent information, that will help you get off on the right foot. You may need to read them several times for everything to sink in.