Newbie needs advise on Bk

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by atargett, Aug 5, 2002.

1. atargett

atargett Member

I understand what SOL stands for but am not sure of what it means and how it applies?
    Could someone please explain.

2. whw1959

whw1959 Member

Statute Of Limitations: the amount of time that a creditor has to file suit for a debt owed. It varies state to state. Once this time has passed a creditor is not able to bring a successful suit against you. In the event that a creditor does file a suit the expiration of the SOL can be used as a successful defense.

3. atargett

atargett Member

Great. Thanks for that.
    Anyone know what the SOL is for Calif?

4. Bunter

Bunter Well-Known Member

5. clc18940

clc18940 Well-Known Member

Re: resorting to name calling

LKH,
    People who resort to name calling are usually the ones who have no other grounds to back up what they say. Moronic is as moronic acts so I really think it is you that has the issues to deal with not I.

I have had problems with 3 members on this board...and that number includes you. Of the three there was only one member who I respected for his/her knowledge and successful efforts to not only repair his/her credit but to help others as well. That particular person and I made up via private emails...and since they were private communications they will stay private. As for you and the other person I could care less about your opinions because neither of you has contributed anything I found useful in all your 2 years of posts. Despite your serial bking you have little or no understanding or knowledge of the bk laws. You can sneer and belittle me all you want but I DO have the requisite knowledge and experience in bk so I am eminently more qualified than you to proffer advice to anyone that is interested in pursuing bk as an option. Nothing you say or do will deter me from giving advice to members...new or old.. that specifically request it.

Right at this moment I am helping 2 members with bk..privately..and one of those persons I am helping to do the schedules so he/she can file a pro-se bk as he/she cannot afford the services of an atty. For these efforts I am charging NOTHING, NADA, NIENTE. As a regular volunteer at Catholic Charities pro bono work is something I have always been committed to doing being the High and Mighty paralegal that I am.

BTW a search on the keywords "private email" results in 141 posts...and I can guarantee you that neither I nor bbauer were the majority posters requesting private emails...so this statement was as misinformed as the rest of your post.

Your dislike of me will not effect my life one way or another...in fact considering the source I find it a compliment of the highest order. The ignore feature of this board certainly comes in handy when dealing with someone such as you...so consider yourself ignored...and you can put THAT in your pipe and smoke it to death.

I apologize to the other members who have had to be subjected to this invective discourse...but when someone attacks another person's integrity publicly then the victim of such attack has every right to defend themselves publicly (oh no here goes the jude60 is a troll attack....hmmm I wonder where he disappeared to?). It is in that spirit that I have posted this response.

My email is always on and I am willing to answer questions or explain the bk laws. If I do not know the answer I have access to attys that do...so please don't hesitate to email me as I enjoy helping others when I can.

clc

6. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Let's see there is 3 people that clc doesn't like...one she had made up with, one is LKH, and other...umm.
    I am curious. :)

Dani

7. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Is this not a form of name calling?

It is obvious you are not a student of linguistics or semantics but anyone with 2 beth cells working synchronously would assume that like bbauer I am using my posts to "drum up new business"

This is patently a lie on its face as I have never charged nor do I advertise any pay-as-you-go service.

It's too bad you are of the female persuasion, because I do have a few choice words I'd love to relay to you, but won't. In any event, you obviously can't take a joke. My little 1 liner must have really hit home for you to keep defending yourself over a friggin JOKE. Get a clue.

To the original poster, I apologize for hijacking your thread.

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Further, your next quote I believe many posters here would disagree with your comment that I have contributed nothing useful in 2 years. And, if you really pay attention here, you'll notice that I mostly do not respond to bk questions because I don't give info that I'm not informed on. I never claimed to know everything like you do.

As for you and the other person I could care less about your opinions because neither of you has contributed anything I found useful in all your 2 years of posts. Despite your serial bking you have little or no understanding or knowledge of the bk laws.

And for the last time, it was a joke. It wasn't
    an attack your credibility.

9. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Sorry atargett for hi-jacking you thread...you may have me whipped later. ;)

I have to disagree with clc's post, at least concerning LKH (what she says about me I don't give a foo-foo about).

LKH is probably one of the most respected and hardest working members on this board. He has contributed and helped numerous people with his expertise in credit repair, as well as, establishing and maintaining prime credit. I am sorry but without LKH (and numerous other members) this board would not be what it is, at least when we are not fighting. ;)

Whether we choose to like someone or dislike someone is irrelevant. We are different and we are going to rub people the wrong way sometimes.

But, downgrading about someone's experience (or lack there of) is foolish. LKH has done a tremondous job on this board and his peformance and advice should never be lessened because someone does not choose to agree with it.

End of story.

Dani

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Well, not quite the end, and I apologize for having something to say here but I do! Off topic, whatever, I'm posting it.

Dani: I believe it's me that is #3, Dani, and to be quite honest, I couldn't be prouder to be in LKH's company on this one! LKH's contributions to this board are immeasurable!

To atargett & other newbies: Please consider being cautious when advised to contact someone privately for help, advice, guidance, etc. without your having asked for private assistance. Quality advice is usually posted publicly so that all readers can benefit from it. Why on earth would it need to be given in email?? Of course, if the poster asks specifically for private help, that's one thing, but that is not the case here. If the advice is worth giving, there's no reason for it not to be posted publicly.

My long-time creditnet friends: For those of you who have been around the block a few times here, I'm about to apologize. I apologize because I'm going to address CLC (as tactfully as possible). I know some feel this is a waste of creditnet time and I ask your patience. I don't do this very often, in fact, hardly. I hope to not have to do so again.

CLC: I asked you some time ago to please just leave me alone in a thread. In that thread, you agreed. However, after that time, you posted several times in reference to me or referring others to threads I was posting in. You answered a question directed towards me explicitly with the words "In answer to Nanac's question..." Please don't answer for me. Input with your own discussion, fine, but please don't respond for me. Finally, for the record, you have made several references to email discussions which have been blatantly false. For the record, I tried to take a concern with you to email rather than waste the board's time. When more thread posts made the effort senseless, I simply wrote to you that there was no need for further discussion. I figured we would just go about our business and, well, ignore each other. My emails were never flames or attacks. That said, I'm restating my request to please just leave me alone.

All: I now return you back to your regular programming <bleep>

LOL

11. clc18940

clc18940 Well-Known Member

Dani-
    You are not one of the 3 people I referred to in my last post. While I think your advice re:paying down your debt and budgetting is good advice for many...there are those cases where applying the minimums would take forever and not make a dent in the principal owed. That is where bk offers the option for these persons to file and get the "fresh start" in bk that was opined in a Supreme Cout decision.

The other 2 people I have put on ignore as why waste any further of my very strictly managed time to get into any more stupid "flame" wars with these people. It certainly isn't productive and their posts usually have no interest for me or for the people who's credit I am trying to improve.

I of course cannot prove the amount of private emails I get on the subject of bk because the people who confided in me regarding their personal cases did so in the belief that they were private and would staay private and confidential. There is alot of information I must know in order to address their concerns...their incomes, exactly where they live, their assets and many other financial info that would be embarassing to post in a public forum. For that reason private emails serve the confidentiality purpose.

Also these people feel that many members here frown on bk and are intimidated to post their decision to file bk. The bias against bk in this forum is overwhelming even though it is just as legal as using the FDCP and/or the FCRA in order to deal with debt.

AS for advocating bk I must admit that right now me and the firm I work for are inundated by bk filers who are filing now in anticipation of the bk reform act. As a legal professional it is not for me to judge these clients but to represent their cases to the best of my ability. If in our dealing with a client we feel their is the scintilla of fraud we first inform our client...and if they do not want to "cure" this fraud we will decline to represent them.

In conclusion...I have no problem posting publicly regarding a poster's general questions regarding bk...I offer my email to those who feel uncomfortable discussing the intimate details for all to read. Once contacted I reassure these people that any info they give me in a private email will stay confidential...in my opinion this is generally a good thing and is a commitment over and above just being a creditnet poster. So I reiterate my offer to anyone who would like bk specific questions re:their own personal info answered...feel free to privately email me...and do not worry as I would never, ever disclose who you are.

clc

12. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

atargett,

Nice to meet you, welcome.

You'd be well served, we all would be well served, to consider the source of advice as a direction, an idea worth pursuing or not pursuing, something to have confirmed, something to research -- this is a public message board and a high quality one with regular posters having the highest personal character traits. I don't believe anyone would intentionally post bad advice, that said, you have to do your homework, you have to confirm the postings, you have to do your own research no matter how good the information is or whether someone offers it freely or whether you receive it via the boards or via private email.

I could tell you to email me privately and that I'm the president of the country, the american bar association, heck, I could decide to be Oprah herself ;-).

I don't think any information would hold up as valid in any forum, a courtroom especially, if the only source was a user proclaiming to be a guru on a public message board.

It's just irresponsible to take any advice no matter how well meaning without independant confirmation, says me, that's why this board usually can backup what it says with sources and references.

LKH, NanaC and Dani,

AMEN!!!!!!!!

clc,

Shame on you for saying LKH hasn't posted useful information in the last 2 years, whether for you personally or not. You've obviously not read the posts very well or at all.

And, you are Bill Bauer-ish, just like him, whatever you know or don't know is not useful if it's only available via email self-promotions.

Sassy

13. MandyB

MandyB Well-Known Member

sassyinaz for president!!!
    Couldn't resist. Well said commentary though.

14. sweet21510

sweet21510 Well-Known Member

Quite frankly that is blantent bull crap. I came in January with horrible money problems and said I needed to file bankruptcy. Never have I found a more supportive group, and everyone was willing to help. All through my bankruptcy people answered my questions, gave me moral support and suggestions..

I don't know what you base your statement on..you've only been here a couple of months, and granted I've not been here real long, but i've found nothing on a personal level or in the archives to support this....I hope you have better evidence when you decide to become a lawyer...courts don't support here-say

15. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

16. ohnostuck

ohnostuck Well-Known Member

Maybe I am #3 then too. We got into it about the whole Jude60 thing as well. I will say this...There are MANY MANY members that I value here at the board. LKH is one of them. I think that you need to start reading posts carefully BEFORE you jump on someone for disagreeing with something that you are doing. I have NEVER been jumped on by anyone here and maybe you should think about WHY people are jumping on you. You take things WAY out of context. If it is me and you do think that I do not contribute that is fine with me. This is America and you are entitled you YOUR own opinion just like we are.

Please don't take this the wrong way again. I just think that you need to see things the way that they are being posted not how you want to see them. Use your eyes and not your backbone.

17. Why Chat

Why Chat Well-Known Member

It is probably a good idea to change to another bank,if you can put the new account in a joint name with someone else,some banks allow minors to have their name and ss # as primary,if not your child, then a trusted relative.This will prevent any further losses to your accounts. The suggestion that you see a lawyer is a good one,you need to find out if a judgment was filed legally,or if it can be vacated and the $$ taken from your account refunded.As to filing BK, I personally do not think it is a good idea in your situation. From what you have posted, so far it seems you would have bette results from undoing the damage that has been done to you.Try legal aid or go to my website, which is posted in the general information area on top of the forum. I have a link to NACA which is a group of consumer lawyers.They can help you to recoup the funds taken from your account, some or all of which may have been exempt from garnishment, and they may be able to help you serve the judgment on your ex.
    Don't worry about the comments here, everyone is trying to help in their own way, but some are more interested in unproductive arguments.

18. DemPooches

DemPooches Well-Known Member

This is some of the best advice I have ever seen given on this board. Regardless of how seemingly solid the "credentials" of the poster, it is up to each of us to verify the information given for ourselves before taking action based on it.

I have personally had the experience of having someone give me very bad advice because they didn't read my post thoroughly. Fortunately, I had researched the issue and knew better. I know the error wasn't intentional, but the results would still have been devastating. I would have had no one but myself to blame had I taken the bad advice.

It is very tempting to take a shortcut and act because a poster seems to know what he or she is talking about. You read of all of these great results and want to get in on it. It's a natural reaction.

The problem is, a misstep early on in your credit repair journey can cause a myriad of problems down the road that are much harder to deal with than the original problem was.

This is one of those situations in which patience (the patience needed to educate yourself on the area you're dealing with) truly is a virtue.

DemPooches

19. ohnostuck

ohnostuck Well-Known Member

Lets NOT forget that usually with credit you are dealing with social security numbers. This is a HUGE no no because of that. I would NEVER suggest anyone ask for help or accept help on any thing that would require any identifying information being used. This should not be limited to just your ss # either. I share my first name and my state THAT IS IT.

20. pbm

pbm Administrator

Dear clc18940,

Individuals who extol the virtues of a public discussion board on the one hand, yet demonstrate a capricious partiality for email on the other, tend to conjure up images of an importunate solicitor rubbing his or her hands with cupidity. This is not unusual, and you are no exception.

While I encourage you to share your knowledge and experience on this discussion board and applaud your pro bono offer to help members in private, it is inappropriate for you to initiate the contact. Please refrain from inviting members to contact you via email. If your contributions to this board are sufficiently credible in their view, members will seek you out.

Incidentally, boisterous mannerism and bumptious conduct are not considered contributions. Recognition, respect, as well as "expert" status are gradually earned over time. Members who enjoy such status are chary of overweening credit apostles that plague this community from time to time. You may be the most knowledgeable bankruptcy expert to have graced this board, but you have failed to persuade others of your good intentions.

The positive impact we have had on the lives of many is largely due to the efforts of a few. Regretfully, in the short time that you have been active here you have managed to alienate at least three of them. These members have repeatedly demonstrated their unwavering commitment to helping others. Without their endurance, their patience and their time, our board would be like every other credit board on the Internet. We owe our distinguishing reputation in part to them.

The good news is you have a choice. You can choose to become an asset to this community, or risk losing a venue for your vociferous temper. I sincerely hope you choose the former.

Sincerely,
    pbm