Next Card Warning 18.99%

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GEORGE, Jun 29, 2001.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

My wife's bill had another insert about the change in terms to 18.99% effective in AUGUST...

SOME 9.99% FIXED...

We sent a letter telling them about the MISTAKE they made on the interest rate...no response yet.

HER F.I.C.O.IS 741 !!!!

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

GEORGE,

My condolences on yet another apr. increase from a credit card company. I have followed your threads on this subject for a while now.

I also have a Platinum Nextcard. I received it in April so I am still on the teaser rate.

Do you have any thoughts about why Nextcard is doing this apr. increase? Aside from the obvious ones - GREED or STUPIDITY.

I plan to negotiate a higher credit limit than my current $6,500 amount in a few months. However, I have not expected to have to start negotiating over "a higher apr." until you reported the problem.

Jim

BTW - you would like it here in CA today - warm and sunny with a light breeeze.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PRIME DOWN 2.75%...MORE PROFIT...

BUT IF I OPT OUT, AND EVERYBODY ELSE OPTS OUT...THEY HAVE NO CUSTOMERS LEFT...

I MAY JUST SEND ALL MY (AND WIFE'S) CARDS A LETTER STATING WE OPT OUT OF ALL INTEREST RATES OVER 9.99%.

MAYBE ALL I WILL BE LEFT WITH IS MY DISCOVERCARD WHICH I PAY IN FULL EVERY MONTH...

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

GEORGE,

I realize that I could get the same bad news as you got from Nextcard. Actually, I would call it an insult but...

Here is what is on my mind. Please don't take this wrong and if my facts are off just let me know.

I make a pretty good income. I have credit card limits of about $26K. I plan to go to 30K and stop.

As I remember, you have such good credit that aren't your limits over $100K.?

Maybe having too much credit is hurting you and the lenders are assigning you a to a higher risk category regardless of your credit score(s)?

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TOO MUCH CREDIT...MAYBE...but $100,000+ household income.

NEVER LATE
    NEVER OVER LIMIT
    NO BK
    NO COLLECTIONS
    OLDEST CREDIT CARD 1978

MY F.I.C.O. 690---690---685
    HER F.I.C.O. 724---732---741

NOT IN THE $100,000+ CLUB ANY MORE...

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

A LOT OF IT IS TEASER RATES (MONEY OWED)... <9.00%

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

California nice and sunny

Jim - where do you live - I live in San Francisco - we are supposed to have a very warm weekend coming up.

I have the deck door open - looking at a CLEAR :)
    dead on view of downtown SF. I live at the top of one of the highest peaks in SF. I look to my right I can see my friend MP$$ in the south bay.
    I can see the Oakland Bay Bridge in the livingroom and the Golden Gate Bridge when I look to my left - now.

I love the weather here, but on vacations, I sometimes like to be exposed to super hot weather -Vegas, Palm Springs- or sometimes very cold - Chicago - Dec - 72 below wind chill!
    I do have to say when I stay in Las Vegas, Bellagio keeps one quite comfortable. :)

You north or south?

best regards - dogman

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: California nice and sunny

NOT JIM...BUT IRVINE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: California nice and sunny

YOU SHIPPED YOUR ROLLING BLACK-OUTS TO COLORADO!!!

I LOST POWER TWICE FOR TOTAL OF ABOUT 2 HOURS....

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

NOT ME SENOR JORGE....

George - It was not ME using this computer in san francisco causing your outage!

The bad guy names around this state are
    ENRON and CALPINE - both of in a 6 month period
    had profits of 800%! Of course they charge 75x what our power company used to pay.

But how stupid was California in the 70s when people
    stripped naked and and listened to Mick Jagger and Janis and smoked marijuana cigarettes and took strange pills and had huge crowds of demonstrators throwing themselves in front of huge nuclear reactors? Those power plants would have prevented this outcome from ever happening. BUT nooooo - we wanted clean air instead! Jeez - off hook!

T SHIRTS
    Cross Country Bank representatives were of course on scene with free GOLD t-shirts. They were of poor quality. They had the CCB logo on the front - a cute chihuahua dead puppy emblem - with the back of the T-shirt proudly displaying a natural but red and yellow bright "Lake of Fire" from shoulder to shoulder!

I feel a bit relaxed now george - CA relaxed :)

relaxing by the minute - dogman

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Re: NOT ME SENOR JORGE....

Hey Dog!!

GEORGE is right - I live down south in CA.

On another topic Dog - Don't forget to keep us updated on Junum and your credit restoration efforts. I don't know closely you followed the threads on Junum here but...

They did good work for me but I am no longer a member as they did such good work that I felt they had done all they could do. Some very good and well known writers here have had some problems with good tradelines being deleted. I felt bad for the writers.

Keep us in the know -Dog!

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Re: NOT ME SENOR JORGE....

Hey Jim!!
    They are still challenging and I have a couple of things fall off every couple of months.

I think they are doing well.

Hope things are normal in southern california LOL!
    humoursly yours - senor dogman

13. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

George,

I have seen credit card companies in the past allow you to keep your original terms provided you notify them in writing the change is unacceptable.

The catch is that the card can no longer be used, this option may depend on the state laws of user?

Direct Merchants gave my wife that option when they changed late / over the limit fees to $35 each.

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I KNOW...

They close your account and you can PAY OFF at old rate...
    BUT I KEEP ON GETTING NEW INCREASES ON MORE OF MY CARDS...SOON I WILL OPT OUT OF ALL CARDS AND HAVE NONE!

15. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I don't have a next card, but my lines are close to $150,000, my income is about $50,000. I only use cards with rates in the single digits. Any time a rate goes above 9.9% APR it gets paid off in full until the next teaser rate offer comes along or an increase in limit.

www.creditsense.com

16. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey again Dog,

Thats good news about Junum. As I remmber we joined about the same time. So you must be on your 4th or 5th round by now.

Congrats!

17. sm691

sm691 Well-Known Member

FYI -- I called next card after I got my "notice". Was very nice to the rep, told him that the main reason why I choose this card was for the low, fixed, APR. Without any debate or discussion he said "I will put in a request to stop the increase so that you can keep your 10.9% Fixed APR." I was stunned. Since we pay the ballance off most months, it should not affect us, so I was going to use the rate increase to try and negotiate getting double rewards points...but I'll take a low fixed rate! I guess that sometimes you really can catch more flies with honey...

I will keep my eyes on my August statement, though!!

18. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

I have been with Nextcard since 1999 at the 9.99% "fixed" rate only to get notice that it was increasing to 19.99% in July. I was outraged!!! Never late, OTL, more than minimum (on ALL my credit cards!). I phoned them and customer service kept me at the 9.99%. Once I do pay it off in the next few months, I'm going to toast this card! With the feds dropping the rate, why does Nextcard feel the need to jack everybody up??? This is NO WAY to treat customers who have done nothing wrong!

19. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

After reading all these posts, I was really glad to get my Nextcard bill yesterday and sat down to read my WHOLE insert. I have a zero balance now...actually a $38.00 credit balance... and have had 12.99 APR all along. I never got the 9.9 that you guys did. I started with the 2.9 for 6 or 9 months something like that.

ANYWAY, my insert did say it was increasing the rates to really awful high rates, BUT....... only on the accounts that were delinquent, or derogatory, etc. It didn't say anything about raising the rates ont he current, good accounts. So I think I am safe for now. I wonder if they are sending out different inserts for different accounts???

I Plan to call today and check and also ask about a BT rate. I would love to get 1.9 for 6 months or something like that. I have all my balances at 8.9 or lower, but all my teaser rates have expired.

20. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Judy, let us know what Nextcard says to your BT request.

Thanks - Jim