Next step - advice please

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Zoe, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Zoe

Zoe Active Member

I sent three validation requests to a collection agency and never received a response. I sent copies of the letters and postal receipts to Transunion and requested deletion. Today I get the results. There was the usual "new information below" statement. The tradeline was exactly as it was before - including a verification date of 11/20. What should I do now? Thanks!

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Zoe,
    What state are you in? Your attorney general or the rgulating agency for that collection agency is your target next. Let me know, and I'll let you know which would help the most! :)

3. Zoe

Zoe Active Member

I'm in Virginia. The collection agency is in North Carolina.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

OK, if this was me, I would follow the following procedures. Make copies of everything you have already sent along with the certified receipts. Neither of these states has special licensing for debt collectors so I would file a complaint with BOTH attorney generals.

North Carolina info is at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/cpframe.htm
    and Virginia Attorney General is at
    http://www.vdacs.state.va.us/consumers/index.html

Be sure to give them all the copies and a detailed letter explaining that they are violating federal law. Good luck!

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Also complaints to the BBB and the FTC and maybe even planetfeedback could be helpful. Might as well let them know in no uncertain terms that s/he is one mad peapicker.

LOL

But 3 validation letters to the same creditor/collection agency is totally ludicrous. Should have slammed the lid on them when the first one did not respond after 30 plus a few days. It would have been all over long before this. After the 30 days, one should hit them with the Estoppel letter that has been posted on this forum several times. Estoppel is not a viable offensive tool, but rather a defensive tool to be used as a defense in the event one is taken to court.
    But it can have it's offensive side too by reason of their failure to respond when they had a compelling duty to do so.

All that information is posted right here on this forum for all to see and use. All one has to do to come up with it is to do a search for Estoppel. So it's no big secret or anything like that. I think Lizard King was the one that posted it a while back if I remember correctly.

Seems to me that having sent estoppel after validation would also strengthen one's argument a tad bit when complaining to the AGs as you suggest, which is, of course, absolutely correct.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Bill's right...the BBB, the FTC, and Planet Feedback! Yupsirree