Nextcard Dead / My Best cards LOL

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

OK my $6,500 Nextcard is dead. I've adjusted. I have too much credit anyway. Besides as mj and kerry pointed out on another thread, someone reputable may yet buy our accounts. I deliberately did not telephone Nextcard when I had the chance to request "closed by consumer" as in the past year I have voluntarily closed...

Capital One $3,300
    Providian $3,000
    GM card $1,500

What's left.

5 prime visa cards
    1 LOC
    4 retail cards ( Macy, Robinson, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales)
    1 auto loan almost paid off.

My available revolving credit totals $50K+. Actually $60K as additional accounts that are closed are showing as open.

What are my favorite cards ?? You know the ones a man carries when he goes out to a fine restaurant or shopping with his daughter. Here are mine...

Capital One Platinum - $12K 8.9% apr.
    Credit Union Visa gold - $ 6K 11.9% apr.
    Nordstrom( remember the kid) - $2K

and DRUMROLL PLEASE

My defunct but handsome (actually beautiful) AMEX Gold Optima card from my pre BK days. LOL

Yes, I have to confess that the AMEX card no longer has a $30K limit and can't be used. But I don't need to use it and it looks great in my billfold when I open it up to take out a credit card for payment. No one would ever notice that the expiration date is 2001.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I have never been more satisified with American Express than now as I have a handsome card. No bills. No annual fee. No statements. No concern over apr. etc.

All my bills are paid in full every month on my accounts and if I were to ever carry a credit card bill from month to month ( heaven forbid), it would be Capital One.

Another few months and a PF letter will go to the Capital One Exec office requesting 7.9% fixed apr. from Mr. Cooke.

Nextcard - Rest In Peace

AMEX Gold - Has risen fro the grave and has a long
    life ahead.

Best regards,

Jim

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

ROTFLOL! Jim, you are a proud man to keep carrying an expired AmEx! Funny! If I were on a date, I would be impressed with you for having the guts to flaunt that 2001 card - lol!!!

Dang, that makes me want to print out a color copy of the Centurion black card from some website, have it laminated and stick it in my wallet. Will that impress the gentlemen? :)

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Marci for seeing the humor in this. I intended it to be funny but with a grain of truth as for years I paid a fee for the Green and later the Gold card just to have women admire it when I took them places on a date. Otherwise, why have one. Well in fairness, it was convenient on trips too.

I should have kept the gold charge card and thrown it in the sock drawer when I cancelled it about 7 years ago. If I had, then I would have two handsome AMEX cards to show off in my billfold. Both useless as tits on a boar but looking great. LOL

Again, I hope I am not offending anyone here but that is my real view of the AMEX cards.

Marci, as a side issue, I have always enjoyed your posts here. As I recall you are college age and you may remember that I teach at a University. So keep your sense of humor here...

If I were 15 years younger and you were not my student, I would enjoy taking you out on a date and trying to impress you with dinner, wine and my defunct but handsome AMEX card.

Best regards,

Jim

4. kerry

kerry Well-Known Member

Hilarious Jim. But my Nextcard will be sorely missed. That stuff from George about the 2 weeks is wishful thinking. I got the FDIC letter today dated July 1. It said 2 weeks we may hear something.

The 2 weeks is up.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MONDAY JULY, 15 is 2 weeks...but I got the letter yesterday...(I'll see at the end of the month)

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Jim,

Here's a thread you might enjoy. Go to www.cardoffers.com and do a discussion board search for a poster named "princess" and a thread titled "dating guys with good credit". It is flat out hilarious!

I wonder what she'd think of a 2001 AmEx - lol!

7. kerry

kerry Well-Known Member

George is right. I spoke a little too soon. Perhaps, lightning will strike and we will get sold. My husband had an interesting observation about Nextcard. He said that sometimes financial institutions simply wait until a company like Nextcard goes out of business, then they are willing to look at what is left of the portfolio for sale. Kind of like being able to buy the best of the junk bonds a broker has to offer.

We are the best of the junk cards.

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Marci !!!

"Princess" is a riot. Thanks so much for the link.

I believe that Princess would approve of me as I would pay with the Credit Union Gold card but flash the AMEX Gold and Nordstrom cards before her eyes. What would look poorly to her would be the Capital One Platinum. She might think it was a toy card. I would have to invite her to go shopping at Nordstrom on our second date. Then she would forget about Capital One. LOL

Best regards,

Jim

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Seems like they are giving folks some bad advice over there.

10. kerry

kerry Well-Known Member

Now that I have looked at the website, I can see that the board is not as knowledgable as creditnet.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Some of us here...are "THEM"...

DON'T TELL ANYBODY...

12. kerry

kerry Well-Known Member

I didn't see your name over there but I did see some other people like ib. No offence to anyone. I just got the idea that this chat board is very sophisticated compared to them. Take for example Nextcard. Over there it seemed to be a surprise that they folded. Here it was anticipated.

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have a secret name...a few here know it...

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I think lb59 was on for the first time today...

15. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

You ain't the them over there that I was talking about.
    Yep:My first time.

16. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

There is value in reading the other credit boards. I used to enjoy Christine at the Bayhouse credit forum back when I was busy rebuilding my credit. However, none of the other boards can compare with Creditnet. There is so much good information here.

17. DaveH

DaveH Well-Known Member

Jim, from one professor to another (Gonzaga U, philosophy), thanks for a good chuckle. :)

marci, if you are college-age, you are impressively mature and knowledgable for your age.

On 2d thought, your posts strike me as plain impressive period. :)

18. marci

marci Well-Known Member

What a kind statement. Thank you! :)

Actually, I am some years past college-age. In fact, enough years past it that I heartily appreciate the association. :)

Thanks again,

19. DaveH

DaveH Well-Known Member

Sure thing Marci, it's certainly well deserved :)

I had to chuckle because as I got notification that this topic was replied to, I was grading short essays in my online summer ethics course.

I like my students, but (ahem) let's just say I'd be very happy to be evaluting more posts like yours at the moment. :)

Have a nice weekend, Dave

20. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member