NextCard - How does it rate?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Toothman, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

What is everyones experience with NextCard? Is that a good card to begin building credit with?

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I'm on my second billing cycle with them -- so I haven't had the card that long, but haven't had any problems either. Their online information is screwy in the few days before and after my statement closes, and often shows random information. The first month I got worried and called. This month I waited a few days and it all straightened out.

Another online feature they offer is the ability to get an email message whenever there is certain account activity. That doesn't work very well either.

Otherwise, like I said I've had no problems with them posting payments on time and I haven't gotten any marketing calls from them either.

3. Toothman

Thank you, Dave! Do you know what their minimum FICO qualifications are?

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

No. I haven't been able to get my FICO online because my credit file is merged with my mother's right now. I'm going to let Lexington sort it all out.

My eloan score yesterday was 633.

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I don't know what their requirements are but I got one last Wednesday, and my FICO is 665. I'm in Ohio and I know they didn't pull my Experian. I didn't have any balance transfers, I think I might have gotten a better rate if I did. I got a $3500 c/l at 13.99% for the first 3 cycles and then it jumps to Prime Rate plus a margin of 13.99% and is never to be lower than 21.99%. Good Luck :)

6. dd

dd Member

I had NextCard for a year. They are terrible, in my opinion. Customer Service reps are nasty, so they lost my business.

I haven't replaced the card yet, but probably will go with Blue from AMEX.

My opinion: avoid NextCard.

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I opened my nextcard account in January. Because of the large balance transfer I made and the low interest rate--currently 8.49--I have saved alot of money.

8. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Really DD??,

That suprises me. I have had them for over a year now and have had no trouble with them at all. I started with a 12.9% interest rate and when everyone here started talking about 9.9%, I called and got mine lowered.

When I applied online I got to transfer right on the computer. I have since done several BT's to my card and off my card. Never had any trouble with them.

Payments are posted within 5 days of my sending them in. I always send the payment though the same day the bill arrives, so that might help some.

DD, sorry that you had a bad experience. I vote GREAT CARD!

judy

9. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

website with cards and scores..

Toothman, you might be able to find this out at www.123debt.com. Look on the left, where it says 'top credit cards' click on that. It tells what score you need to have to get several of these different cards. Click on the 'credit score' put in all your numbers (no card #'s) just amounts. It will give you an idea what your score is. I hope this helps. They also have a Q & A forum. If anyone checks their score, please post to tell us if it's close to the one the credit bureau gave you.

10. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: website with cards and scores..

I just checked my score at the website posted by nelsonfan, and I got a 638. I just got my equifax score power score and it was 561. This seems like a giant margin of error.

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

I always been scarded to use that website, as it always offered a highier score :(

12. Toothman

Thank you everyone for all the good information. I believe I will apply for it this summer after my third round of disputes. It seems that it isn't one of the more "subprime" of the subprime cards. My goal though is to land a Citibank Plat and an Amex during my lifetime.

I have a wayyyyyyyyyyyys to go :)

13. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

I figured it was giving high scores. I'm glad some of you checked ( thanks Erica) I'm glad I didn't get too excited about my 672 score. If Erica's was 77 points higher then my real score is, most likely, 77 points lower. Yuck. I should be getting info this week on getting my reports free. See, everyone is looking for something for free.

14. 2244y

2244y Well-Known Member

on 123debt.com,it states ;635+ for Juniper and 625 +for Capital one ,I don't think these info are correct.

15. Toothman

Based on this information, I think I will wait awhile before applying. I don't need the wasted inquiry.

16. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

I really don't think Juniper is correct--I have a high 600s scroe with some distant negatives and got turned down. I always thought that Juniper was more of an elite card in the V/MC world.

AnnMarie

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WAS DENIED JUNIPER WITH 690...JUST F.Y.I.

18. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I just tried 123debt.com and it gave me a 734. Now I know for fact that this waayyy high. I wouldn't suggest that anyone apply based solely on this score.

19. JB1833

JB1833 Member

I can add my name to the list of Juniper rejects....and my FICO is 700 with no late payments on anything in 7 years (I do have some balances higher than 50% of my limits however).

Just how rigid are these card's standards anyway? :p

20. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHO KNOWS WHAT JUNIPER WANTS...I have credit cards dating back to 1978, NO BK, NO COLLECTIONS, NO LATES, NO OVER-LIMIT...