NEXTCARD owns CreditExpert

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Sep 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

NEXTCARD, EXPERIAN UNVEIL FLAT-FEE CREDIT-CHECK
    SERVICE

NextCard Inc. and the credit bureau Experian Information Solutions Inc. have developed a first-of-its-kind
    service that lets consumers check their credit reports online as many times as they wish for a set fee.

Credit Manager is offered through Experian's CreditExpert.com site. Various prices for a one-year
    subscription, including at $69.99, are being tested, said NextCard, a San Francisco company that issues
    Internet-oriented credit cards.

Credit bureaus encourage consumers to check their credit reports often as a safeguard against fraud and identity
    theft, but this typically costs the consumer at least $10 per inquiry.

Experian, of Orange, Calif., had been developing its own version of this service and reached an agreement to
    have NextCard help tweak the final version.

"We knew we wanted a credit bureau product," said Scott P. Lascelles, group vice president of loyalty
    marketing at NextCard.

The bureau said another credit card issuer will offer the service soon.

Laura J. DeSoto, vice president of CreditExpert.com, who worked on the development of NextCard
    CreditExpert, said: "Our policy was employees got one free credit report a year. For the first time, we are
    putting intelligence and tools in the hands of consumers that allows them to monitor their records."

The service was popular with Experian employees in tests and will probably be offered to them as a benefit,
    Ms. DeSoto said.

She said this type of service could not have been made available to consumers three years ago, because
    companies other than credit bureaus did not have the systems capability to keep the data fresh and open.

Experian has agreed to let NextCard offer the product exclusively for two months, then other card issuers will
    be able to offer it. Ms. DeSoto said one other credit card issuer had signed up to sell the service and that a few
    more are in discussions with Experian.

Besides a detailed credit report, the service will offer tips on improving credit ratings and let customers challenge
    report mistakes online. Users will also be able to handle such financial management chores as figuring out a
    schedule to pay down credit card debt and compare the costs of auto leasing versus purchasing.

And the service will enable NextCard, one of the Internet's heaviest advertisers, to offer a product even to
    customers who decide not to apply for or are rejected for a NextCard.

~~~~~~~~

By Lavonne Kuykendall

Copyright of American Banker is the property of American Banker Inc. and its content may not be copied or emailed to
    multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print,
    download, or email articles for individual use.
    Source: American Banker, 06/18/2001, Vol. 166 Issue 116, p17, 1/2p.
    Item Number: 4744887

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Hummmmm

3. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Oh no! Now nextcard will raise the prices for creditexpert just like they've raised their interest rates!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It would be nice to check my credit report as many times I wanted to...BUT NEXT CARD INVOLVED????

$69.95 I guess is a good price.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It sounds more like Experian is "franchising" credit expert, not that Nextcard owns it.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I SEE...

Experian has agreed to let NextCard offer the product exclusively for two months, then other card issuers will be able to offer it. Ms. DeSoto said one other credit card
    issuer had signed up to sell the service and that a few more are in discussions with Experian.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

$79.00 ON THE EXPERIAN WEB SITE...

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

9. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Experian is a subsidiary of GUS plc, a UK based holding company.

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Nextcard "tweaked" the software!!!

The day the credit union told me I had been approved for a loan with a 728 Experian score, Creditexpert said my score was 701.

Oh well. But I still like Creditexpert - especially those 14 hard inquiry deletions.

Jim

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Your NOT afraid of a FRAUD ALERT being put on your credit report?

I asked CITIBANK to remove ONE of TWO inquires...they said NO...I'm afraid if I dispute "HARD" inquires, I will get a FRAUD ALERT on my credit reports...

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Do you just say, I don't know ANYTHING about that inquiry?
    And it gets removed?

Or do you say "SHOULD HAVE BEEN A "SOFT" ?

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Credit Expert didn't do that... Experian did it. CreditExpert does not handle disputes anymore than Providian or WorthKnowing do.

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I meant Privisita.

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Bkev, you can edit a post for 15 minutes after posting it. :)

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Click on the blue button, then edit, and re-submit.

17. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi GEORGE!!

I did not dispute all 14 at once. I was judicious. However, for the time being, the lenders have to respond back to EX about the inquiry disputes. I guess this is new to the lenders so they don't bother to respond.

The disputes initiated via Creditexpert are actually responded to by EX. I should have said, I like the convenience of seeing my on-line updates and disputing via Creditexpert.

Jim

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I don't have it (CE)...WHAT do you EXACTLY say? I didn't apply? Not mine?

19. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Not exactly true... the disputes initiated via creditexpert are actually initiated via Experian. Once you click on the button to show my report, it's all experian, NOT creditexpert anymore.

20. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi GEORGE,

I think I will let BKEV answer your question. LOL

Best regards,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.