Nextcard

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by molly, Oct 28, 2000.

1. molly

molly Well-Known Member

How hard is it to get Nextcard? I see that they have online instant approval. I also read that you must have good to very good credit to get one. Anyone have this card?

2. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

It depends on how your Experian and Trans Union reports look. Nextcard checks both.

3. David

David Well-Known Member

NextCard was my first credit card. All I had was an auto loan for 2 mo. being reported to all 3 bureaus. I was approved for $700.

Be aware, though, that depending on your credit situation (thin profile/blemished credit), you will be issued a "Lite" account, as I was.

They will not increase your credit line for nothing with a lite account; I've tried countless times. Maybe it's because they've made no money off me (grace period, pay off every month), but I've heard others that expressed the same concern. Customer service is mediocre, in my opinion. The only thing I charge on it now is my monthly cable modem. I keep it open because FICO looks at the length of your oldest trade when calculating a score.

My advice: do not get...

Let us know your credit situation, and we could make better suggestions!

4. John Debto

John Debto Guest

Nextcard has several different levels, from prime to 27% interest with a $90 yearly membership fee.

Back several months ago, I seem to recall they only had a prime card which was very hard to get, now they will take just about anybody.

You might apply and see which level they offer you. Capital One will do the same thing when you apply for their platinum.

5. Tony

Tony Guest

I have a nextcard for about 4 months now. They did check both transunion and experian. My credit is pretty good. No lates with 30 accounts in good standing, not all of them are open accounts. I was approved on-line and had a choice of 3 options. First, $4000 limit with 19.8%, second, $7000 limit with 13.9% mandatory $4000 balance transfer, third, $11000 with 9.9% mandatory $7000 transfer. With option 3, I was given free picture card, double rewards points if I carried a balance with no fee for rewards program, and platinum card. I chose the 3rd option, but paid off the $7000 transfer right away. I haven't recieved a credit line increase as of yet. Hope this helps.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHEN I APPLIED ON LINE...THE 2.99% FOR 6 MONTHS, THEN 9.99% CAME WITH A CREDIT LINE OF LIKE $2,000.
    IF I TOOK THE 9.99% FIXED, THE CREDIT LINE WAS $6,000,(NO BRAINER...TOOK IT)!!!
    I THINK THE CREDIT LINE WAS $500. OR $1,000 WITHOUT A BALANCE TRANSFER.
    LOVE THE CARD EVEN THOUGH THE CREDIT LINE IS A LITTLE LOW, BUT THEY SAID E-MAIL THEM IN A COUPLE MONTHS FOR A CREDIT LINE INCREASE.
    LOVE THE ON LINE BALANCE TRANSFERS.
    ON LINE ACCOUNT BALANCE.
    ON LINE PAYMENT.
    CHECK IT OUT...BUT THEY RUN TWO CREDIT REPORTS, SO PEOPLE SAY.

7. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Real easy but the Credit line

Molly,

Nextcard is giving out cards like Candy. They are even offering Secured Cards. It all depends on your credit profile. I am not sure how long it takes them to unsecure the cards.

They used to only offer PRIME, but I guess they like alot of banks decided that wasn't profitable enough.

My firend with HORRIBLE Credit applied and received a secured card. I remember apply when they first came out and being denied.

I'd apply and see what the offer you.

8. Eboni

Eboni Guest

About the Terms

300 Credit Limit
    300 Deposit Charged to the account
    No fees, the $59 annual fee is waived if account is in gogod standing.

You don't pay interrest on the $300 deposit, the deposit goes into a FDIC insured account.

Not a good deal, but much better than most of the subprime CC Companies.

Like I said, she had HORRIBLE Credit. The approval was a real shock.

The interest rate was prime plus 12.99%

9. AJ

AJ Guest

RE: About the Terms

I'm paying on a Chapter 13. They gave me an unsecured for $700. Have had for almost 10
    months. Have paid in full every month. Asked for an increase after 7 months. Was denied.
    Make a 6 figure income, and used to have cards with $10,000 limits. Now I can't get
    anything over a $1,000 limit./AJ

10. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

RE: About the Terms

On the bright side, going with the crappy, subprime terms for a certain length of time could possibly land you some better terms after you establish a good credit history with Nextcard. Then again, they might not budge, even with an imaculate record.

At least, however, Nextcard does offer prime rates. Your chances of graduating to something better are higher than with companies that deal strictly with subprime customers.