Nice folks at AMEX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Squawk1200, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

I had an Amex account that was charged-off in 1996, and paid in full in 1999. About six months ago I wrote to Amex to get them to report it as "paid," and they did.

I'm now in the process of getting a mortgage, and my broker told me the lender needed a letter from Amex showing that the two entries for Amex on my credit report (one for sign & travel, one for the charge portion) was really one account.

So yesterday, I called the Amex credit reporting department to get the letter. As soon as I gave the woman the account number, she asked if I would like the entry reomved from my reports(!). I said, well, that would be nice, but what I really need is this letter stating blah blah blah, and I need it quick for my mortgage. Well, she not only faxed the letter to my mortgage broker within 5 mins of my call, BUT she also included in the letter that Amex was deleting the accounts from my CRA reports and she told me that I would be receiving a letter to that effect as well. Wow!!

So, for anyone out there that has and old, but fully paid off, Amex charge off -- it might be worth a call to see if they'd remove it for you.

2. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Originally they wouldn't remove my charge-off from 1998 but were going to report it as paid charge-off, still a negative to my effect. I wrote them a long and persistent letter, about how I don't think a little mistake when I was 20 should ruin my life forever, and that AMEX gave me a card with a huge limit as an immature college kid with no job, and now I have a job and I'm responsible and paid off my debt, adding that alot of people don't ever do that, etc, etc. Two weeks later I received another letter from AMEX telling me that the charge-off would be removed from all three CRA and I should keep their correspondence as proof that it should be done. Well it's off! :) They also added that within one year of my paying this debt I could be considered for AMEX cards again, so April 2002. I love this company!

3. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. Squak2000, what number did you call? Fingrrl, what address did you use for your coorespondance? Thanks!