No-Hassle Platinum (CAPITAL ONE)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GEORGE, Oct 22, 2001.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Capital One is pitching a new
    package of unprecedented
    cardholder commitments not seen
    since the launch of the AT&T
    Universal VISA/MasterCard in
    1990. The No-Hassle Platinum
    MasterCard guarantees no
    balance transfer fees, no cash
    advance fees, no annual fees, and
    no foreign exchange fees "ever".
    Capital One is also making the
    promise to No-Hassle
    cardholders of "no telemarketing calls". The new Platinum MasterCard also carries
    a fixed APR of 8.9% or 9.9% for new purchases, balance transfers, and cash
    advances. For more information visit http://www.capitalone.com.
    WWW.CARDTRAK.COM (NEWS) 10/22/01

2. 2244y

2244y Well-Known Member

Hi George,their Platinum card is very hard to get as I know.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Yep GEORGE......they have a commercial out about this card that I've seen a dozen times now. I thought the Providian and CCB Gold commercials were bad......

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WON'T EVEN TRY...but it's the NO HASSLE I was emphasizing...

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The No-Hassle Platinum
    MasterCard guarantees no
    balance transfer fees, no cash
    advance fees, no annual fees, and
    no foreign exchange fees "ever".
    Capital One is also making the
    promise to No-Hassle
    cardholders of "no telemarketing calls". The new Platinum MasterCard also carries
    a fixed APR of 8.9% or 9.9% for new purchases, balance transfers, and cash
    advances.

I won't try because they will deny me...
    TOO MANY OPEN ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES
    TOO MANY BANK CARDS
    NO INSTALMENT LOAN

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PERFECT PAYMENT SINCE 1978 MEANS NOTHING.
    HOUSEHOLD INCOME $100,000+ MEANS NOTHING.
    MINE 704
    HER 741

ANY NEW CREDIT CARDS ARE ON AUTOMATIC DENIAL...

What is AMAZING, is I once had almost $200,000 UNSECURED credit cards, until F.I.C.O. reared it's UGLY HEAD!!!!

I still try to get BETTER CARDS with better rates...
    Paying in full and NOT using a card does NOT always work in "FORCING" them to lower the rate!!!

7. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

I wonder if current platinum card holders get this same benefit. I especially like the no cash advance fees.
    I was converted to platinum from my gold card a few months ago.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I THINK IT IS A TOTALLY SEPARATE PRODUCT...

I think you would have to TRADE what you have for a "NEW" account...

9. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I have a Cap One Gold right at the line that I want to 'combine' with another Cap One Gold for Plat. I'll ask when I do it what the differeneces are in those cards.

I saw the commercial for this a few times during Football yesterday- almost more exciting than the games were. Pretty neat idea saying that they are eliminating the 'telemarketing' calls....I think that will catch more that a few eyes.

Shawn

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

What is AMAZING about the calls, is they always try to get you to buy some junk or service THAT YOU DID NOT BUY WITH THE ADVERTISEMENT WITH THE STATEMENT!!!!!!!

11. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

You know, George, you really threw me off with this one.

When I first read the subject, I thought Cap One had finally given in and gave you a card with no hassles. I was all ready to congratulate you......

Cap One has really clamed down with me on the telemarketing calls, but I always get the telemarketing message when I call in.

The one that really pisses me off now is Household. They bough one of my old re-building accounts and jacked up the rates. I currently have a credit of 4.97 on the account and haven't charged anything for a while. I don't want to close it as it is a very lengthy tradeline.

But, I bet a get a 'check' in the mail every day from them....the 'check' if for about $3.00 and by cashing it I enroll in some stupid vacation package or auto-club. RRRIIIIIIIPPPPPPP.

Then there are the daily phone calls wanting me to buy health or life insurance through them. Ugh.

That is one card I can't wait to get rid of. # yr account, started 500.00, still 500.00 to this day. Never a single late payment. Interest rate went up when Household bought it. I tried to get retention through customer service, they ended up closing my account, had to have it 'un-closed'.

Shawn

Shawn

12. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot here. When they say this card has a "no hassle" policy, they are implying that their other cards will hassle you to death (which they do).

-Roman

13. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I got an invite for one of the Cap One premium cards a while ago and bit on it. The thing that caused me to go for it was the "no telemarketing" promise. In addition, there are no other fees. No annual fee, no balance transfer fee, no cash advance fee, no over limit fee. There is a $29 late fee though. The rate I got was LIBOR + 2.12% with a floor of 8.9%. The fed will have to raise rates about 3 full points before it gets back to that though. I got the max $20K credit line. So far they have kept their promise. I have not received one telemarketing call from them.

I dumped my remaining $5K First USA card for them after First USA tried another rate jack on me. First USA are moronic boobs who don't get it. In an environement of falling interest rates everywhere they try to jack up everyone's rate with some babble about 9.9% being "no longer economically feasible." What a crock!

14. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

George:

They've been using credit scoring for years. If you have a score over 700 you would probably be able to talk them into giving you a card if you tell them you want to transfer some of your other balances to them. You are inevitably going to get denied if you have alot of open credit because FICO (as calculated by the CRAs) does not factor in your income. The CRAs do not attempt to track your income in any fashion. Having over $100K in open credit lines will inevitably raise a red flag. If this were 1996 or 1997, they would have gone ahead and given you a card, because the mantra then was 'market share'. These days it's loss prevention and lawsuit prevention, mainly shareholder lawsuits.

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AMEX NEWEST MEMBER - MP$

AROOOOOOOOOO!
    BOWING DOWN ON TWO FRONT PAWS FOR YOU - ONLY HAVE i DONE THAT ONCE BEFORE :)

great - thrilled for you - smiling for you up the Bay!
    gold charge on - dogman

16. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Re: AMEX NEWEST MEMBER - MP$

Hey! How did this get on this thread???? At any rate, thanks Dog! I feel honored. My goal was to get a real AMEX card by the end of this year and it worked. The nine time calling theory might not have worked??? I just found out today that I was screwed out of a Gold charge card that I was promised. Oh well......next year! I guess I could call and press the issue???? Naw.....

17. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Re: AMEX NEWEST MEMBER - MP$

Girl, I would call and press that gold charge. Whether you need it or not, you were promised it. Don't let anyone screw you over.

18. Jamee25

Jamee25 Well-Known Member

It cant be that hard to get because

my best friend just got one. Her bankruptcy is 3 years old, FICO is 619. One Aria acct at 2200 cl and Orchard at 500 cl since the bankruptcy, those accts are almost 1 year old. She got a pre-approval from Cap one for the plat, thought she'd be declined because she actually bankrupted a Cap one acct, but was approved for 5k. I was shocked. Her income is about 45k... Now that account has been open about 2 months and just yesterday she got another pre-approval from them, not sure if she's going to apply or not. Her 5k with no annual fee and 10.9 apr is much better than my measly 1100.00 kmart card...

Jamee

19. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: It cant be that hard to get because

jamee25,

That's amazing. Maybe Cap One is loosening up a bit...

20. Jamee25

Jamee25 Well-Known Member

Re: It cant be that hard to get because

Marci,

Whats really wierd is that she was denied for the secured card online about 6 months prior. due to filing BK on them, then she gets the preapproval, and actually gets the card, I was shocked, I thought she'd have been declined again.

I have the secured 600.00 limit with 99.00 deposit, and 2 kmart accts, 1 at 600.00 and one at 1100.00, I hate the kmart accts, I wish I could combine them all, and keep the secured, but they wont combine kmart accts. Ugh!! I may just close the kmart accts out, they are kind of embarrassing to use at some places...lol (My BK will be two years old in Jan)

Jamee