No Status?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Jul 19, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I just noticed that a CA that I've been arguing with (ok, hubby's but I'm working on it) has it listed as "no status"..though it shows up on the negatives. How does that impact scores compared to one that reads collection account? And, why would a CA do that?

Bill, this is the one we've been working on..never noticed it before.

2. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

NanaC, I have one of those one my reports, too. It says "No Status", but is listed on my Experian report (via CreditExpert) under the "potentially negative items" section of my report.

Anyone know what the "no status" designation means? And why is it considered to be negative?

3. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I've got one, too. Are you in any type of billing dispute with the creditor? If you are, and if you complained about it to the FTC or any state or federal officials the creditor may have contacted the agencies themselves. They did in my case. The FCBA requires that the creditor put your account in NO STATUS until the dispute is resolved. Mine is for a mathematical error in the computation of the average daily balance resulting in a higher finance charge for June.

4. chriscraft

Mist, yes I am involved in a billing dispute on that particular "no status" item. However, I have never contacted anyone at the state or federal level regarding the account - I only disputed it with the collection agency to whom the account was referred.

I wonder why they consider it a "negative" when a debtor has a bona fide dispute regarding the balance due on the account? That doesn't seem fair to me. Seems to me that they should reclassify the item in a manner which does not affect one's score - whether bad or good - during the pendency of the dispute.

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Even if you hadn't contacted anyone else but the CA, it would appear that the CA is crossing thier t's and dotting their i's. They must have put it in NO STATUS themselves.

Mine was a perfectly good, longstanding tradeline with no negatives EVER so it shows in the positive tradelines on CreditExpert. The only difference is that it now shows NO STATUS and in comments it says, "Item being investigated under the Fair Billing Act" My CL and my Balance do not show now, either. I don't know why that is.

6. chriscraft

That's very interesting, Mist. I have another old, charged off credit card account - FCNB - that I have had an ongoing, bona fide billing dispute with, and the "no status" notation is nowhere to be found on any of my reports. Not a surprise, I guess - FCNB sucks in my opinion. Thanks for the info, though!

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Yup..I sent validations to the CA (long story) with no response..do they think changing it to no status somehow makes it so they don't have to validate?