non-dischargable student loan?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShyGuy, Apr 24, 2001.

1. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

What qualifies as a non-dischargable student loan? A year after my discharge, a collection agency is attempting to collect on a loan I used to buy a computer from the college bookstore. (This loan was marketed by a computer company and could only have been used to buy computer equipment and software.) The CA says my contact states this is a non-dischargable loan. (The original creditor has started reporting it as a student loan to the CRAs.)

My BK attorney says it doesn't matter what the contract says. He says in order for it to be a non-dischargable student loan it would have had to have been a federally guaranteed loan -- the type used to pay for tuition, housing, books and the like.

Any idea who's right?

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: non-dischargable student l

non-dischargable student loan?
    Author: ShyGuy (216.104.228.148)
    Date: 04-24-01 14:48

What qualifies as a non-dischargable student loan? A year after my discharge, a collection agency is attempting to collect on a loan I used to buy a computer from the college bookstore. (This loan was marketed by a computer company and could only have been used to buy computer equipment and software.) The CA says my contact states this is a non-dischargable loan. (The original creditor has started reporting it as a student loan to the CRAs.)

My BK attorney says it doesn't matter what the contract says. He says in order for it to be a non-dischargable student loan it would have had to have been a federally guaranteed loan -- the type used to pay for tuition, housing, books and the like.

Any idea who's right?---------------------

Reply To Message -=-== the lawyer i would say