Normal Procedure?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by 4love, May 26, 2000.

1. 4love

4love Guest

What is the normal process when applying for instant credit at a department store?

2. MS

MS Guest

I just apllyed for Sears credit card. After an half an hour waiting they said that I'm approved but I gonna receive my card in period up to two weeks. All they needed is a kind of photo ID(driver's license was OK).

3. 4love

4love Guest

Thanks for replying to my post on the credit card board. When you applied
    at sears did they ask for any type of credit reference like an existing
    credit card number? Or, did they only ask for your drivers license? I
    dont have an existing card number but was thinking of establishing credit
    using a department store card, any department store card. I was thinkking
    about target but they want an existing card number as a reference. That
    seems odd but its that way. Again, thanks for replying to my post

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Alot of department stores give you instant credit if you have a major credit card, so that is why target asks for existing card number.

5. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

I recently tried to apply on-line for Target and they gave the messsage "cannot process online, need special attention, will get results in 10 days." I used a valid credit card in good standing as reference. So, I was a bit surprised based on what I've read here, and expect to get a denial letter.

Any thoughts?

6. 4love

4love Guest

Thanks for replying. I will keep that in mind.

7. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Insight from Target Rep

I confirmed my on-line Target application was denied today for my past credit blunders. The rep said that filing "instant" on-line or in-store applications allows the greatest chance for denial. Apparently, by filling out the "long form" application and submitting via mail, you have the greatest chances of getting approved. I suggest this is true for most creditors.

8. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

My daughter got the same message, and she expected a denial letter because she still has some crappy credit. Instead, she received a card in the mail with a $200 limit.

9. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Don't let that message discourage you. It will crop up for any number of reasons (you've moved recently, your name doesn't match exactly with the name on your credit report.) I got that message and still received a card. The message came up for me because I had moved in the last six months and the CRA had my middle name misspelled.

10. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Don't bother with on-line

While I can certainly concur with that as far as online applications go its a different case with in-store applications who "guarantee" instant approval if you have a valid Visa or MC.

Basically they are legally obliged to grant you one though no doubt at their lowest limit if you have bad credit or no credit.

11. Arthur

Arthur Guest

RE: Don't bother with on-line

How can a store be legally obliged to grant a card even if you have bad credit, if you have a valid visa/mc....I have 20+bad accounts on my CRA, and have 3 good visa's does that mean I can get a target card if I go to the store and give them my providian visa (3000 limit?)

12. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Instant approval - go for

Easy, if a store (Target for example) has a little booth typically situated just outside or perhaps just as you step inside their store and with a bold advertisement right on the booth as well as on banners inside the store stating you will gain instant approval for our card if you have a valid Visa/MC and furthermore if you ask the individual(s) working these booths something like "hey all I need is valid Visa/MC and I get the card" and their response typically is "yep, just provide us that and fill in your name, address and usual @!#$ and your approved, you should be receiving the card within a couple of weeks"

NOWHERE, at any of these places have I seen any 'publicly' displayed notations along the lines that those with bad credit are ineligible or those that have a bankruptcy or a criminal record or whatever. NADA, ZIPPO.

In other words you could have the "worst credit in the world" but show up with your valid cc and you got yourself their card.

As for your limit why thats entirely up to them they may match your cards' limit or may have a policy of giving the minimum ($200?) or any figure they feal comfortable with at that moment with your plastic temporary card upfront and deciding on a permanent limit afterwards when you receive your card.

Believe me if they attempted any funny stuff they'd have so many government organisations and local prosecuters on their case, not to mention the newspapers who love to do a great big 'expose' and pick up their readership they'd might as well put a "for sale" sign right there and then.

13. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I have been refused by Sears (2 times) and Best Buy because I do not have sufficient credit history. Each time they told me that they give everybody a store cc, but I was refused. I think they should tell you that it depends on your eligibility.

14. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I was also in Sears once when a guy had applied for instant credit at the register.I did hear the clerk say that his request for credit was declined. When he asked why, the clerk had no idea. Maybe this is a Sears issue.

15. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Regardless of what they say Sears has never been known as the easiest department store to gain credit from. Moreover, every last place will turn you down for insufficient credit history. Believe me I know.

Still, I managed to gain my first department store card (a place that had turned me down previously for no credit history) soley because I had an offshore visa credit card in my possesion i.e. a valid credit card. In fact earlier that same year I was in a Sears store with a friend who was looking around and one rep was trying very hard to sign us up, when I told him all I had was one low-limit visa he guaranteed instant approval though he could not say what sort of limit I would receive. I declined, prefering to pay cash for everything at that time.

If by chance an individual would still be turned down in this case, said individual would have cause to go after the company for false and misleading advertising.

16. Rich Guy

Rich Guy Guest

Which stores do you suggest?

Steve,
    I have never seen a sign or ad that guarantess a retail card to a bank card holder. At which specific stores, preferably nationwide chains, are such offers frequently made?

17. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Which stores do you sugges

Thats strange Rich, I see them all the time at Wal-Mart, Sears, Lowe's etc.

But its as Barry N says in a post earlier today which boils down to "while we're obliged to give you one because we've advertised it like crazy all over the place and we can have the hell sued out of us if we don't according to our tiny weeny fine print that are reps are rushing you through in their eagerness to collect their commission we are not obligated to let you keep it if we don't like what we see on your credit report"

Guess you better spend it while the gettings good :)

18. Rich Guy

Rich Guy Guest

Well, Sears never asked me for a bank card, only for my SS number. They are the least likely store in the world to grant credit without a credit report. Thanks for suggesting WalMart, and I'll give Target and Montgomery Ward a try as well. Above all, I want to avoid useless inquiries, meaning those that don't result in new credit.

19. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

I apologize for some exaggeration here. I used to see offers for instant credit with a bank card in normal department stores ten or fifteen years ago. As far as I knew, they were extinct. Now we hear that a building supply store and a couple of discount stores still offer the same deal.

20. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Some of the private label cards from Hurley State Bank are easy to get and useful. Their interest rates are right up there with the department store cards, but they do offer the "90 days same as cash" option. You also get a separate credit limit for cash advances.

Hurley State Bank, which was recently acquired by Associates, offers private label cards for Goodyear, Radio Shack, the United Airlines Travel Card, and the American Airlines Credit Card. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know what they are. You can apply for all of the cards online and receive an instant credit decision.

I've had the Goodyear card and the United Airlines Card for years, and although I rarely use either of them, I've not had the slightest problem with them. You do get bonus airline miles with both airline cards.

My daughter applied for the Goodyear, United Airlines, and the American Airlines cards, and was approved instantly. Her credit limits are $700, $1000, and $1500 respectively. She has much less-than-perfect credit. They check your credit through Equifax, and they report to all three CRAs.