Now what?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by penguin, Jun 20, 2001.

1. penguin

penguin Well-Known Member

I sent a validation letter to a collection agency, and they replied saying that they're in the process of getting the documents of proof--but that it may take up to 90 days. I sent them a second letter of estoppel, much like the one that's been floating around here, saying that it shouldn't take 90 days to get the necessary documents (especially when they took the liberty to place an inquiry and a negative listing on all 3 reports). I have not heard back from them, and it's been about 3 months since I sent my first letter.

My question is, what should I do next? I already disputed the entries with the credit bureaus, but I haven't gotten the results back yet. If they come back verified, what are my options? Thanks!

2. penguin

penguin Well-Known Member

I just wanted to bring this up to the top again. Can anyone help me? Is Lizardking around???

3. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

What your request for verification did is trigger a duty on their part to STOP collection activity while they are verifying. There is no time limit on them by which they have to verify, and don't kid yourself about any "estoppel by silence" or any other such nonsense.

To answer your weustion of "now what," you can dispute and if the verify with the CRAs before verifying with you, you can threaten a suit or actually sue for violation of the FDCPA on the theory that verifying with the CRA is "collection activity." Personally, I think that's a questionable theory if you have to actually test it in court, but it's something.