number of CITI accounts allowed???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Om, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Om

Om Well-Known Member

I have two CITI accounts and was told by a representative a few weeks back that I could have as many accounts as I was approved for, "We don't limit the number of accounts you can have." Well, I was denied a third account today because I have two new accounts already. Without asking, the representative this morning told me that CITI only allows two accounts to be held at a time. She then told me that the only time you could get 3 accounts would be to have an online account, some kind of account that you only use for online purchases and you don't receive an actual card.

WHICH IS IT!?

I thought because my accounts are both under 60 days that it might get denied. Now I don't know if I should combine the two I have and go for a second card instead of a third to combine into one of the existing two.
    Anybody know anything about this?

-Om

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I was told by a rep and a supervisor that the amount of citi cards one can hold is 3. I have 3 accounts and was told I had the maximum. I have the plat select, dividend and the aagold cards.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

yup i have 3 platinum select products now.

combine, convert, wait, apply, combine,convert,wait apply :)

I plan to wait 6 months between applications so they dont get snooty on me.

4. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

The reason you can't get more than two cards at this time is that Citibank will not process more than two credit card applications in a thirty day period. Last week, I was approved for two AAdvantage cards (Gold and Silver), which I immediately upgraded to the Dividend Platinum Select and the AA Worldcard Platinum. When I tried to then apply for a third card - an AAdvantage Gold, Citi wouldn't process the application. I called them and was told that while there really isn't a limit on the number of Citi cards one can have, a person absolutely cannot submit more than two card applications in any given 30-day period. The representative suggested that before applying for a third card that I wait at least 30 days, and to be really safe, about 6 months in order to establish a pay period on my two new cards.

Personally, I will probably wait the six months. Between now and then, I probably will also combine my existing platinum cards (which will give me one platinum card with a 19K limit), and then in six months I'll apply for two more Citi cards. Then I'll upgrade and consolidate those cards, and repeat the process again six months later.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Actually is it within 60 days, they will not accept more than 2 applications in a 60 day time period. After the rep told me I could only carry 3 cards, when a previously rep stated I could carry more than 3 cards I asked for a supervisor who stated 3 is the maximum cards one can hold?

6. chriscraft

Hi, Momof3. The information I received yesterday from a Citi representative was that one could not submit more than two applications within a thirty (30) day period. She seemed confident about that statement, however, as we all know, not all reps are knowledgeable about their bank's products and processes. I wonder which it is -- 30 or 60 days?

For me, it makes no difference, since I am going to wait the full six months before I try for another Citi card. But it would be good to know the correct answer to this question.

Thanks for the input!

-chriscraft

7. marci

marci Well-Known Member

It's 60 days, as they had to cancel one of my applications to get me approved for another.

And, I do believe one cannot have more than 3 accounts at a time period.

8. chriscraft

Marci, thanks for the info. It sounds like it is 60 days rather than 30 as I was told. Regarding the number of cards one can have, I kind of got the feeling that 3 might be the limit. But this gut reaction is different than what that Citi representative told me. Who knows!

If I end up with 3 Citi cards with nice fat limits, I'll be totally satisfied. Besides, my wallet is now getting so full that I probably don't need a 4th Citi card. I need to reserve a place in my wallet for the AMEX Gold and Optima cards which I will hopefully get in March of next year. Before long I will need two wallets, one for ID cards and the other for credit cards. Kinda cool feeling given the fact that I have been in credit hell for the past 7 years.

Again, thanks for the info.

-chriscraft

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

actually it feels better to only have to carry 4 cards(one ATM) and have over $15K on tap.

Sucked having 10 cards that equalled $5000 in credit.

10. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Chriscraft,

I know the feeling. I've had a phenomenal credit year. I was about to pursue an American Express card, but then realized that it really doesn't fit my needs (to each his own). And it felt good to know that I could make a choice about which credit card worked for me and which didn't. I've got four major bankcards (three that I respect), and one retail card now. I'll close a bankcard soon, and simply exercise the credit I have on the remaining three. I don't need anymore credit - and it feels *so* good to reach that point.

Wishing you well on your credit journey,

11. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I heard that! I'm totally cracking up now....LMAO!

12. chriscraft

To Sam:

Sam, I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. You gave me the courage to apply for the Citi cards, and based on your advice, I ended up getting two AAdvantage cards, one with 9K limit and the other a 10K limit. This week I upgraded both cards, the 9K one into a AAdvantage Worldcard Platinum (no preset spending limit), and the other card into a Dividend Platinum Select card. And as far as your having 10 little cards totaling $5K in credit, I am dying laughing over that. I feel the EXACT same way. It is so funny -- three weeks ago I had like 7 secured cards, each with between 200-300 limits, for a total credit of about $1700 or so. Now, to that I can add a minimum of $19K in credit between just two Citi cards. And on top of that, yesterday I applied for and received a $7,500 Visa card from Generations Bank. I did that based on Lizardking's suggestion. Sam, THANK YOU! I can't wait for 6 months to pass so I can get more Citi cards and follow your strategy of getting cards and then combining them for higher limits. You are amazing. Thank you so much.

To Marci, I am glad to hear you too have been having great credit successes. That is terrific. In the past five weeks, I have applied for and received no less than 7 credit cards totalling $29,100 in credit. Simply amazing. I also found out that even though my recent AMEX application was denied, in March of next year I should be able to get a card no problem (I was declined due to the age of my brand new accounts. Once these report for 6 months, I will be "in" with AMEX, or so they tell me.) I am so happy about this turn of events I can't tell you. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to restructure my existing balances and cards for optimum FICO scores. It's nice to have the flexibility to handle such a task. You don't have many choices with $200 secured cards! I, too, wish you well on your credit journey.

THANK YOU ALL. I wouldn't be at this point without all of you on this Board. Take care.

-chriscraft

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Ditto.

-Peace, Dave

14. AJiLE

AJiLE Well-Known Member

Well, I just found out how many CITI cards I CAN HAVE!!!! NONE ZILCH ZERO NOTTA FAHGET IT!!!
    lol

Of course, that's what happens when they pull my TU with a pathetic, worthless 542 (that no matter how hard I try cannot seem to get to BUDGE). In fact, had two collections deleted. NO CHANGE. I hate TU (and CITI will not be getting my business for a looooooooong time (nor will I be able to get a CITI card for some time)).

*sigh*

A. J.