Nutcase Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by gonzo, Sep 19, 2003.

1. gonzo

gonzo Well-Known Member

I am in the process of using the nutcase letter to remove a paid collection that is about 2 years old.

In the nutcase letter it states "I have enclosed two documents which will verify my address: a photocopy of a [YOUR STATE] Driverâ??s License and a photocopy of a recent [NAME OF UTILITY OR TELEPHONE COMPANY] statement.".

Is it really necessary to send this information and why?

Thanks,
    Gonzo

2. bugman

bugman Well-Known Member

im not sure, this is one of the reasons i hesitate to send the nutcase letter.

do you have a direct contact who you KNOW has the POWER to delete?

man, im as confused as you are.

fweem!

3. gonzo

gonzo Well-Known Member

No I do not. Do you think I need to send that information to prove who I am?

This is a paid medical collection account. It keeps coming back verified. So I thought that this would be a great opportunity to try the nutcase approach.

Gonzo

4. gonzo

gonzo Well-Known Member

bump

5. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

sending the identifying info proves you are really you, and that you are serious about the matter. I believe doc has some other theories about what it does psychologically to the person who receives all this 'stuff' from you. (doc? you here?) Also, since this is paid, you have nothing to fear by sending them the info. I mean, what can they do? ...well, besides think you're wacky, lol, and that's exactly what you want.

Good luck....I'm in the same boat as you...dealing with a bunch of paid collections...ugh.

6. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Nutcase Question

oh, i forgot to add....read up on HIPAA if you havent already. Theres a lot of info here, and I used it to scare off an OBGYN who was trying to collect 43 lousy bucks from me. it worked like a charm. Medical collectors are scared to death of the new HIPAA laws.

Here's a snippet of the letter i used:

"Furthermore, as for assigning this billing error to any collection agency: a) My legal advisor will help me to dispute and seek validation of the alleged debt, and b) if you were to mistakenly disclose any medical information in a manner that would violate the new HIPAA Privacy Rule, you could incur large fines and penalties. You may wish to consult with a competent legal advisor before your next communication with me." ....

...."Please be advised that under Federal Statutes (15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq) you may be held liable for the actions of any collection agency to which you forward this alleged bill."

------------

heh heh... i havent heard a peep out of the OBGYN since i sent it about 8 weeks ago.

:)