NY SOL - ATTN LARRY (@ibm.com)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by geekpipe, Mar 5, 2001.

1. geekpipe

geekpipe Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Anyone understand the SOL for NY state? I have many debts from 1994/5 and see several dates on my report...Open Date, Closed Date, Status Date, Last Pay Date, Profile Date, Balance date...Does anyone know what they mean, or more importantly which do I clock the 5 years from?

How do I tell the CRA that it is past 5 years and to delete it? Just like that??

If you have a debt opened in 1994 that is sold to a collection agency after say 1996..where do i calculate the 5 years from? If the original debt goes past 5 years, does that void the collection account that was sold?

Thanks
    kevin

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: NY SOL - ATTN LARRY (@ibm.

yes, it does void the collection. you just write the credit bureau and dispute the account as OBSOLETE and ask them to remove it. you stated that is was 'opened' in 1994. that means nothing. when did it charge off. do you mean it became a collection in 1994 or was first reported in 1994. This terminology is different depending on which credit bureau you are dealing with. Tell us more.

roni

3. geekpipe

hi,

Here is one example:

Experian
    open date - jan 1994
    closed date - aug 1994
    balance date - aug 1994
    status date - nov 1995
    Profile date - nov 1995
    no last pay date

how can t
    no closed date

4. geekpipe

hi,

Here is one example:

Experian
    open date - jan 1994
    closed date - aug 1994
    balance date - aug 1994
    status date - nov 1995
    Profile date - nov 1995
    no last pay date

how can t
    no closed date

5. geekpipe

sorry my pc is going wacky...forget everything from HOW...down.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I have never seen, closed, profile date or a balance date on experian as you put it.

For example, on my report, it goes like this across:

Date opened/reported since
    Date of status/last reported
    Type/terms/monthly payment
    responsibility
    Creditlineor original amount/high balance
    recent balance/recentpayment
    comments

YOU USE THE DATE OPENED/REPORTED SINCE to calculate the 5 years with experian. you use the REPORTED SINCE......

Also under comments it should have the drop off date BUT THEY USE THE REPORTED SINCE DATE.

roni

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

If it's a delinquent account you are supposed to use the first date of the delinquency (some states are +/_ 180 days) and unfortunately I don't know if NY has this +/_. On your TransUnion, don't they have off to the side (this account will stay on your report until) or something like that?

If it's a positive tradeline, they go by the closed date for it to drop off.

Course, you could always call and ask about the SOL. If it has passed they'll remove it on the phone. If not, they'll tell you what date they're using and you can try to verify it w/the original creditor. Or if you've never disputed the item, you could always just do a "not mine" and see if it drops off. If they're old accounts odds are they won't be verified.

8. geekpipe

hi ,

Those listings were from a 3 in one credit report. So I went and ordered the equifax online report. The date on that same account is:

Last activity - 7/96
    Date Reported 9/99
    Which is the date?. If it is close to 5 year point for NY SOL..should i wait or try and dispute. If I dispute...WHO do i dispute to and on what basis?

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

last activity

is probably what they'll try to go by. 7/96. Technically I think it's the first date of delinquency which was probably before 7.96, but most bureaus go by last date of activity. If it's a collection listing, they probably are stating the date of activity as later than it really is, and you can fight that if you want to.

AT this point, you can always call Equifax now that you have your report number and ask them when it's scheduled to drop off. You can ask for it to go now (sometimes they'll let it go if it's within 6 months of the drop date)

You dispute this directly w/Equifax. I'd just try it on the phone and see if they'll take it off since you're only a couple of months even from the last day of activity.

Check your other reports too. If it's on those you want to dispute them too. Worst case scenario, call or write in July/ but I'd try now. Worst thing that happens is that it stays on your report.

These are very basic questions, and while I certainly will help as much as I can, it would really help you to read the basic info we recommend on credit repair. :)