OC VALIDATION

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by YUMMYCAKES, Oct 3, 2003.

1. YUMMYCAKES

YUMMYCAKES Well-Known Member

I have been reading on this site for several weeks. I just had a few questions on OC dispute. I sent a letter to the OC saying that I am disputing what they are reporting on my credit report. I got the green card back in the mail today. What do I do next? I have read that I should send a dispute letter to the CRA stating that the TL isn't being reported as disputed. I have also read not, to do anything and wait for 30 days to see if the OC reports it as disputed on my CR. Which do you think is a better idea? Also, are there any sample letters anyone has on disputing this with the CRA? I am not sure how to word the letter to them. Thank you!!!

2. YUMMYCAKES

BUMP, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

3. dixidriftr

dixidriftr Well-Known Member

here is a letter for you:

Dear CRA,

The xxxxxxx tradeline account #xxxxxx is not mine. Please remove.

Thank you,

Yummycakes

4. fxs158

fxs158 Well-Known Member

yummycakes,

I am in the same boat as you, it seems there is ton info on collection agencies but verry little on original creditors.

I guess more to the point, after validation is requested should one send stopel next just like CA?

5. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

My understanding of the FCRA is that any furnisher of information to a CRA has the obligation to make sure it is correct. If an OC is reporting incorrect informarion to the CRA(s) then they are in violation of the FCRA. And, once again if I remember correctly, OC's verify while CA's validate. So you could send a "validation" but using "verify" instead of "validate" and request that they prove the amount they are reporting.

As for why not to contact an OC, I would say it's partly because many of them keep good records and play by slightly different rules than a CA would. Also partly because you may be able to go back to them in the future and negotiate paying the debt for a deletion of the trade line or change to paid/never late/closed by oonsumer. I'm not a 100% sure on this myself :/

Personally, I wouldn't contact an OC unless I knew something was wrong ie never had an account with them, know I paid it in full, know the amount, etc they are reporting is in error.

I disputed an OC as paid in full/closed by me on TU and the tradeline went away, not sure why.

If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me :)

6. YUMMYCAKES

Shouldn't I mention something in the letter to the CRA that I have sent a dispute letter to the OC. Doesn't the OC have to report the account as disputed?

7. YUMMYCAKES

BUMP