Occupation and credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Oct 3, 2000.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Many credit card applications have a drop-box or a space to write in your occupation. What bearing does it have on the credit application? Are certain occupations associated with higher risk.

Also, if I return to graduate school while working full-time, is it in my better interest to put occupation as student or employed? I can only pick one choice for the app!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

if you have a professional career they give you more points on their internal scoring system. The score from the CB is only part of the criteria for credit approval with Banks. If you are selfemployed it is more difficult to get credit for it is sometimes harder to verify income. If you are a student it may be better for you to apply for student credit cards because they would have more lenient credit requirements.

3. David

David Well-Known Member

Yes, they may have more lenient credit requirements for student credit cards, but they usually come with much lower limits.

Take my credit for example: perfect for 4 1/2 years. Have 20K AMEX Blue, 30K MBNA Platinum, etc. and I applied for the Associates card for students Mastercard, partially because of the instant approval. I was approved, of course, but for $300. I called and asked about it (didn't activate account because student cards, regardless of previous credit history, start with very low limits.)

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Wow!

Wow. Too bad. But many of my friends receive increases with good payment history. They started with $500 or so as I can remember

5. Hubert X

Hubert X Guest

You need to apply for credit before you go to graduate school. Anticipate your future need for credit and get it now.