off the wagon - BofA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jonesing, Apr 18, 2001.

1. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Well I was doing good about not incurring any inquiries and starting with junum to clear up some things I couldn't get squared away by myself and then it happened...

To make a long, painful story short: I got a check from a merchant and put it in my bank account at BofA, a few days later I send off my car payment; the merchant's check gets returned (not merchant's fault, merchant's bank error) and the day after they take the money from my account my car payment comes in and is rejected. I find out about all this when the merchant calls me to explain that "a situation" happened and made bood on the check before I even get a notice from the bank.

So I call customer service and the nice lady took pity on me and reversed the fee for my rejected check as well as the merhcant's rejected check. While we were talking she cast some sort of spell and the next thing I know I'm agreeing to let her put me in for a Platinum card which would cover these overdrafts if needed. I swear it wasn't my fault! I tried to resist ;-) I mean I told her it probably wasn't a good time to apply right now since I wasn't sure that my chances of approval would be good. Then she seduces me by saying that I'm a long-time (8 years) client and I have a good job as she could see by my twice monthly direct deposits and since I have a preferred checking account I would get an even better APR blah blah blah. So, like a little kid looking at bright shiny objects, I wiped the drool from my face and am confirming some personal info. yikes!

She said she would put me in for the best offer but also made a note for whomever runs these things to consider me for anything in their arsenal if need be. I'm supposed to call this weekend to see what I'm approved for (mail takes 3 weeks).

I guess my favorite saying comes into play here:
    "When you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed."

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Get a different wagon

The best possible answer to this kind of problem is to get a different wagon. Open a savings acoount that will allow you to set up an automatic once a month withdrawl with no minimum balance requirements if at all possible and then put your car payment money in that account as soon as you can.
    Once you have enough money in the account to make the car payment and are ready to make it, call up your finance company and tell them to set you up for an automatic withdrewl from your bank account each month. You draw at least a little bit of interest on the money you deposit and your check can't ever bounce.

Bill Bauer

3. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Re: Get a different wagon

Bill,

I guess you missed the point huh? I don't recall the post being about overdrafts (really). It was about applying for new credit.

Maybe if you weren't itching so much to add your 2cents EVERYWHERE on the board, then MAYBE you'd be able to comment constructively.

4. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Guess What

I guess you missed the point huh?

No, I didn't miss the point. I did not have an answer for your main question, so I did not address what I didn't have a good and valid answer for.

I don't recall the post being about overdrafts (really).
    No, but you did raise the point, didn't you??
    -----------------------------------------
    It was about applying for new credit.
    ----------------------------------------

Maybe if you weren't itching so much to add your 2cents EVERYWHERE on the board, then MAYBE you'd be able to comment constructively.

We all have our problems, don't we? Maybe if you weren't itiching so much to jump down everybody's throats and criticize others at every opportunity you'd have more time to find the answer to your problems.

It was worth nothing to you and it cost you nothing so you got your money's worth. What have you got to complain about?

Have a nice day today and a better one tomorrow and enjoy the both of them in the best of health.

5. dave

dave Well-Known Member

and attacking bill is constructive? People get on these boards to get opinions, they don't care who gives them.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

TO: Bill Bauer

You can expect to be attacked on this board when you make statements that people just dont wanna hear. That is just the way it goes at creditnet. BTW, I enjoy your post. I am so happy right now about my student loans that I dont give a ---- what anyone posts to me.

roni

PS: Thanks to all of you who posted kind words.

7. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

geez

Well I can put an and to it all ;-) After two very hairy experiences, I never allow a company to debit my bank account for payments on a recurring basis. I'll do it as a one-time deal if need be but that's online where I can print out proof of a one time only authorization.

8. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Re: geez

Jonesing

You will enjiy dealing with Bank of America credit cards. I have three cards with B of A. I really like them and they do offer great APR's as long as you pay on time. They also keep the special offers coming to BT and lower your rates even further. All my rates are 8%, 8.5% and 8.9%

judy

9. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Par for the course

Yep!

That's just about "par for the course"

Thanks
    bill bauer

10. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Thanks!

But attacking me isn't going to get them anywhere in the future. I have better things to do and better ways to do them than getting into internet wars.

I will be willing to make some comments from time to time in an effort to be helpful if I happen to think that I might be of help.

If others do not like my suggestions, then they need to remember that it cost them nothing and if it was worth nothing to them, then they at least got their money's worth.

What is one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Thank you and have a nice day

Bill Bauer