off topic: car accident,need advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nursie, Jun 22, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

You make sense, Breeze (as always! :) )...I didn't even get the limits..I had a terrible lawyer! :(

I agree..I do the same for the moral reason...and having been there myself, have no intention of doing it to someone else...

Thanks for the insights!

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Nana, The situation you were in..... you could have gotten 1. the at fault driver's coverage limits. 2. the driver's coverage limits 3. your policy's coverage limits.

And if you own company offers to kandle it - tht means they will "subrogate" - they will pay you and get the money from the other company. That is the ideal situation. I'm not saying that no one ever gets taken advantage of - there are companies that pay their claims, and companies that try not to. But by and large, they pay their claims.

And if they ever don't, you just let me know, cause I know how to make them to what they're supposed to do. ;)

breeze

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, I got a worse deal than I even thought!! :(

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

those are not typos

it's this keyboard. ;)

breeze

5. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

The journal is a great idea. Where would I find Outlooks?

Breeze, do you mean that Nana could've had 3 different settlements? I knew someone once who got paid by both her own insurance and the other guy's for a very minor accident. I never did figure out how that worked.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, now this is becoming painful in another location of my body!! ROFL...oh, boy, oh, boy..did I lose out!

7. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

Breathe slow Nana.......in.....out......in......out.......close your eyes & picture yourself in your new house.......in.....out.....

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I can't say how it would be paid - a settlement is usually for a lawsuit, or to get you to stop filing claims. You do not have to sue to get them to pay your medical bills. You can continue to submit medical bills to your insurance company, and they will pay or go to the next company in line for payment. You just keep submitting medical bills until you don't have them anymore.

Money for time lost from work, other transportation, if needed, etc.- just insist you have to have it. They may question it, but they have a right to ask. Don't be offended. If you just keep it to your actual losses - you shouldn't have any problem with Allstate. If you start with the "loss of companionship", mental anguish, etc etc, then you will run into objections from the company.

Insurance is not supposed to supply you with tons of money (unles you have a tremendous loss, as in a fatality), it is supposed to replace what you lost. If you are having headaches, neck pain, back pain, etc., just go to the doctor and have him bill Allstate, and let them subrogate. Sometimes they will offer you money to sign something saying you are satisfied and won't submit any more bills. If you are not sure you are medically okay, don't take it. It's always tempting, but after that you will be SOL, and can't get any more money for anything.

Once you get a lawyer, none of the insurance companies will even talk to you, and it becomes an adversary situation. I would wait and see if Allstate takes care of it to your atisfaction.

The sequence the companies will follow is first the "at fault" driver's company pays, then the other driver's company pays. And in Nana's case, since she was a passenger, her company would have been last in line to pay.

Incidentally, I don't know if you looked at the table in the link above, but CA is not a no-fault state.

Feel free to email me. I don't want to get into arguments with other posters. ;)

I will be glad to help you as you go through the process, though.

breeze