off topic - pop up screens

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by tom65432, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Over the last two weeks or so, I have noticed that when I leave this site, those annoying little pop up screens come up. Sometimes 5 to 10 of them. But they are for things like a tiny wireless video camera, not credit related info.

Who is doing this? This site, internet explorer, my ISP, the CIA, FBI, or ??

Any clues as to how to stop them? They are annoying.

2. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I have had that happen as well. Not from leaving this site but from leaving weather.com (the weather channel site). Don't know where it is coming from but it is sure annoying and I don't like it.

3. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

I do not get these creens leaving this site. I did read somewhere about a company that has developed "delayed" popups that are designed to wait until after your have left the site where you pick them up and then come up while you are watching or as you leave another site. Maybe this is happening to you.

4. tom65432

I just signed out again. I got seven copies of a pop up for free car or $20,000.

One of the reasons they are annoying is that they are off center so the X is not showing. I have to move the screen over just to close it out.

Any help is appreciated. If I can find out where they are coming from, I will stop visiting the site that causes them or change my ISP or whatever it takes.

A few months ago I had this problem with Yahoo and just quit using them.

5. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I have seen the pop-up (not from leaving this sitebut others) and it is off center as well.

If you are using Windows, you can close any program with ALT-F4...this will close the screen currently "in focus" (meaning on top of all other screens). Hold the ALT key and hit the F4 function button on the top of your keyboard when you see the "off center" ad. This will not clear up the problem of the ads coming up, but will help you by not having to scroll over to hit the X to close the window.

-Dave

6. Kay

Kay Member

Thanks. Thats what I needed.

7. tom65432

I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help. Even though this was off topic, I think it is something we all see too much of.

8. pbm

pbm Administrator

We know exactly what you are talking about, but rest assured these popups are not originating from the Creditnet.com site.

It is interesting you should bring it up because as of late I, too, have noticed a dramatic increase in popups for a wireless camera. I usually get them while reading the New York Times, though occasionally they will popup while perusing other sites as well.

Advertisers call these types of popups interstitials. Visitors think of them as nuisances. They are irritating and unsolicited. These particular popup ads for the wireless camera are using some form of time-delayed mechanism so it is difficult to determine where exactly they are originating from. Perhaps one of our advertisers is using the technology unbeknownst to us?

I, for one, am interested in getting to the bottom of this. In the meantime I suggest you clear your browser's cache and history to see if it makes a difference.

Sincerely,
    pbm

9. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

For some reason that wireless camera ad is EVERYWHERE...it's like "here, go spy on someone -- in color" whatever!

With regards to the adds being off center and the X not being visible...if you look at the top left corner of the title bar, you'll see the "E" for Internet Explorer" (or N for Netscape)....just double click on it, and it'll close the window as well...

Hope this hels...

And not...

10. tom65432

Thanks. Now I have two solutions to the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.