OK providian really sucks.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, May 2, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I have been trying to cancel the providian MC ( i just got this card last month).

I dont have my statement unfortuantely. I have tried to call the #800 to cancel.

I have had a terrible time.

I called the cancel card #. Then the automated system wanted the account #. I dont have it. Most people wouldnt have it anyway if they were on a trip or something right?

So then finally it lets me put in my ss#. Then it wants the last for digits of the account # again.

What? Then it transfers me to ARIA????WTF????

So basically, you guys know that I have been considering cancelling providian at this one year anniversary, (aria department still has me on hold now........whatever). I really will send providian a check for my balances and closing ending my relationship with them..

Shame Shame on providian. None of my other banks gave me this problem..

roni

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

You know -- and I'm just thinking out lout here -- I wonder if your experience is a good reason to get one of those services the credit card companies are always trying to sell that offers lost/stolen card reporting. I never buy those extra services they try to sell and usually don't even bother to read the details. From what I understand though you register all of your different accounts with the service and then one phone call could take care of all this stuff.

Has anyone actually used one of these services?

3. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Roni,
    Please make sure you have a police report...if they are giving you this much grief (the automated system in this case) then that helps you out tremendously. If I'm not mistaken, there is a $50 cap on how much they can penalize you (the cardholder) once you make someone aware of the threat. So if someone goes on a shopping spree, they don't try to stick you with the bill...

Relax, Relate, Release!!!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I will definitely sign up with one of those credit care registrys. That will be my next step after cancelling providian.

roni

5. hurricane5

Actually, way back when I was in prime land, Citibank had that type of service, you registered all of your cards with them (they even had little stickers to put on your cards-- you know "this card protected by Citibank") -- kind of like ADT for your CCs...so if you lost or had your cards stolen, they would call all your other CCs and make them aware, etc. Can't remember if it was extra or not, but it was a nice feeling.

6. SEAN

SEAN Well-Known Member

Roni,

I've had no problems with Providian. Have a Platinum Visa 9.9 fixed and also a Platinum Aria 9.9 also. Sorry to hear about your problems. Take Care.

Sean

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Exactly Hurricane,
    Tonight as i was going through all my paperwork trying to find account #'s I came across the citibank registry. I had signed up for it but never sent them my list of other cards. I will have to really get my act together in the future.

roni

8. hurricane5

Well, my motto is "If I don't learn something new every day, then I must have been asleep!"

9. SEAN

SEAN Well-Known Member

Junior, Regular, and Senior?

Hello Creditnet:

Who are you to decide who is at what level......I've been visiting this site for four years and find that the arbitrary appointments of rank to be not only insulting, but totally unnecessary. no one person is better than the next, we all put our pants on the same way.

Sean

10. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I keep all but my Visa check card and my Providian Gold locked up at my office but I also keep a PGP encrypted Excel file with my card numbers, the check digits on the back of the cards, expiration date and the customer service numbers for each issuer on my home PC. This would help me in a situation like Roni's but I think I also may look for a registry.

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Junior, Regular, and Senior?

And what does that have to do with this thread..????

nice input...though

roni

12. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POST?

13. SEAN

SEAN Well-Known Member

Reshod,

It has nothing to do with the original post other than the fact that i realized that yet again we have the same people monopolizing the board and now they are given the status of "senior member". What should be people helping each other turns out to be people being assigned a Master Status. This serves no purpose other than to identify those who live at this site.

Sean

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

You make really good points Sean..

Bravo!

roni

15. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Sean I agree with you 100%, but that comment could have been under its own thread.

Great Comments.

We are all here to help and learn.

16. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

You know it seems that this is a real big customer service problem lately and it seems to have a lot to do with automation more than anything. If you can email them or do a search on different phone numbers within the company you might find some way of getting to talk to a real human being that can take care of you!

Keep being persistant and Ignore customer NO SERVICE!

godaddyo

"live long and prosper"

17. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Ah.. a Clark Howard listener?

18. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

What? No fingerprint scanner for the computer too? LOL j/k Actually, I was doing a similar thing with my handheld. Until I dropped it down the basement stairs :-(

19. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I haven't found good encryption software that I trust for my Palm, so I don't keep a copy of the file there.

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well, that was informative. Maybe they can use you for their next commercial.

roni