Old Account Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Twen0, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Twen0

Twen0 Active Member

I had a Discover card when I was in college and let the account go to collections (it was either rent and food or Discover). It's on my credit report as being transferred and has my balance as $0. The account was sold (transferred) to Midland Credit. Midland has offered to accept 50% of the total owed (which works out nice for me) and say they will show the acount as paid. I'm trying to get my credit cleaned up and am not really concerned with the money amount. I feel like I'm getting a double hit for this one account. Is getting the debt listed as paid better than settled?

Another account I have for and old GTE bill said they won't delete it from my report (it's only $260 so paying it is no problem. I wasn't aware that I owed them). If I pay them now the neg rating stays on for another 7 years. The last activity date was in 97. If I can't improve my rating, why bother? Any suggestions?

I would like to get squared away with everyone I owe, but I have no qualms about not paying if it's not going to benefit me somehow.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

T Wen

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Dispute as duplicates on your report. Also, only agree to pay if they remove the tradelines.