old accounts returning

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Beth, Sep 22, 2000.

1. Beth

Beth Guest

I just needed some info about old charged off accts showing up on credit reports after 7 years.

Next year I will buy my first home. I had bad credit in the past (bad relationship & college left me broke)

Anyway 7 years has gone by and I paid what I cld and the rest have fallen off my credit report. I have been very good with the little credit I do have ( 2 visa cards & a few dept stores) in 7 years I have never missed a payment or been late on them.

I have now been approved for my first gold card, and easily obtained a lease for a new laptop. I was approved on the spot! It sure felt good!

When I go looking for a mtg next year, will they pull a 10 year credit report on me? I heard that they can go back as far as 25 years if they want!

I want to make sure I get approved at a good rate!

Thanks

Beth

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Yes, they may do that. However, debts over 2 years old will not matter. Debts/delinquencies 7-10 years old are also obsolete. Dont worry. You are doing great.

3. Beth

Beth Guest

HI Roni

Thank you for your input. THis is a great board. I hope to learn alot about keeping my credit clean!

4. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I agree with Roni. You are doing great, and as long as you stick with what you're doing, you'll have good reason to be very proud of yourself :)

5. Justice

Justice Guest

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how lenient the mortgage companies are now. I just bought a house last year with a current flaw on my credit report and was approved for a FHA loan at the lowest interest rate. They just asked me to write a letter of explanation about the flaw. You shouldn't have any problems.

6. Beth

Beth Guest

Thanks for the info! I was worried that the bad credut wld come back to haunt me!

According to my savings plan I need 5 more months to hit my goals for down payment & closing cost.

Then I'm off to go house hunting!