Old Collection....Experts Plea

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Reshod, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Hello Board,

I have an old paid-off collection from 1995. I have tried to dispute it with the CRA's and the collection agency. I even asked the original collector to delete it as a measure of good faith. Every time I dispute it, it comes back verified. This is the only negative item on my report. What can I do to get it removed before the 7 year mark? I feel that I have exhausted every avenue of approach.

Thanks in Advance,
    Reshod

2. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

RE: Old Collection....Experts

Well, you should have asked them to remove it in exchange for payment before you paid the collection.

Since it's too late for that you should probably just keep trying what you've already tried and hope your persistance pays off.

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Reshod,

Boy, if only there were some magic to make these paid collections vanish! And, if only we knew then, what we know now.

If it's any consolation, I'm in a predicament similar to yours and I think Roni is, too. However, you and Roni have paid collections that are older than mine. My paid charge off is two years old.

The only advice I can offer is keep disputing. I've been at it for nearly a year now and progress is very slow. However, Transunion has deleted my black mark. Experian removed it around the 1st of December but then quickly put it back on. Equifax hasn't budged at all!

Like you, my efforts in contacting the original creditor were unsuccessful. I received absolutely no response at all. Since the creditor already has their money, I guess there's no motivation to respond.

If you find something that works, please let me know. Don't feel alone, though. Many of us are struggling with this same issue.

Donna

4. mary

mary Guest

Reshod,

have you tried sending the collection agency a letter asking them to provide you with proof that the debt is yours? I wonder if it is old enough that they will be able to locate their paper proof? Depending on what kind of collection it is, this might work. It worked for me with COldata and Cap One. Good luck

5. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

great!!!

Thanks

mary wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Reshod,

have you tried sending the collection agency a letter asking them to provide you with proof that the debt is yours? I wonder if it is old enough that they will be able to locate their paper proof? Depending on what kind of collection it is, this might work. It worked for me with COldata and Cap One. Good luck