Old debt comes back....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Okay,

My grandmother calls me yesterday saying someone called me. I KNEW it had to be from some bill before I moved almost 3 years ago because I've been current and very good with my credit, etc since then.

So I called the number back and the CA is called Money Control. The lady goes on the say it's from 99 and Ameritech (the creditor) has obviously sold this account (or another collection agency) AGAIN. This will make the 3rd time in 3 years.

So she goes on the say, 'You can make payments, blah blah". I said, "Uh, I'm not prepared to hold a conversation with you about that. Do you have an address?" So she gives me their address. I said, "Thank you" and I hung up.

My question is, how do I handle this? I would settle but not the the entire amount ($637). But I don't want this to hit my CR (if it hasn't already because I haven't gotten anything) and keep coming back.

She said that it was turned over to collection as of 1/99. I don't live in that state anymore and I don't think the SOL is up.

So what's my next move?

2. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I know you folks are out there...anyone with any advice? LK?

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I will tell you what I would do..which is request validation. I wouldn't do a thing other than that.