OMG They gave me a card! Help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I applied online for an Associates Visa card about two weeks ago and was declined online. I'm positive that it said, "Sorry, we can't offer you a card at this time..." as opposed to "We need more time..."

Today in the mail I received an Associates Visa card with a $300 limit. yahooooooooooo!

HOWEVER,

I have read here that Associates is owned by Citibank. (CitiGroup?)

I have an old collection account from Citibank that Gulf State has, which is due to fall off my Experian report this January. It just this month fell off Equifax (surprise!) and it is still on TransUnion with a balance date of 1999.

Anyway, before I sign this card and activate it, is there any way they can tack on the old debt to this card? I may sound paranoid but I had no idea I'd get a card and from what I understand, Citibank has a blacklist.

Thanks for any info.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

no. I owe Universal bank and Associates and i have an assocates commerce bank, and 3 citi cards. No legal way....

3. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Sam,

So you owe Associates but still have an Associates card? I was planning on applying for a gas card later but was afraid they have a black list. Any advice would be great :)

Stephanie

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

She said she owes Citibank, not Associates. They are using different systems, Citibank blacklist would not apply.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Associates Commerce Bank is not Associates visa, Similar but not the same.

6. AntBubba

AntBubba Member

Same thing happened to me. I applied online for the Shell gas card. I was told I would get a decision in the mail in 7 - 10 days. I figured, well no card for me. Much to my suprised I got in the mail a Shell/Texaco gas card with a $500 limit, $250 of that can used for cash at a ATM.

So needless to say I was suprised and thrilled :)