Online banks

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Nov 14, 2000.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Which online banks are the most reliable? Do all of them provide online payments only or do they issue actual checks when you set up an account? Just curious.
    Please share experiences =)

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

hmm? X.com is an example of a very unreliable bank :)
    hehe

wingspanbank:
    Approved me with chex (may not be the case now).
    Gave me a Visa Checkcard.
    Gave me some checks.
    Accepts deposits all over the USA even though they are online bank (not many other online banks offer that).

Generally speaking, if i could get a checking account locally, i would have, but otherwise i see no benefit to these online banks.

3. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I think I have answered your questions before, but I will answer again.

Wingspanbank.com is VERY REliable. I have been with them since 9/99. I had a problem where a charge was made to my VISA check card against my wishes (Grad School, long story) and they investigated and corrected the problem quickly. They accepted me when I still had something on check Systems from College (which was a mistake and was removed because the bank had been bought 2 times since when I had the account, they transfered the savingsa ccount type charged monthly fees then closed the account, it was sitting dormat). Anyway Wingspan has been very good to me. All Bank1 ATMs for free and if you get charged by a bank they reimburse you up to $5 a month. They offer online bill pay for payees that accept it, (all the payees that are on checkfree) if the payee is not on the list you can add them and they will mail a check.

I have a checking account, money market and Roth IRA with Net.Bank. They are very reliable, with good customer service.

Compubank does not impress me. Their website is tacky, but some people like them.

I would try Netbank because they have better terms than Wingspanbank, then I would try Wingspan. From my personal experience these ahve been the best.

I have a 401K with American Express but I would not open a checking account with them. Their terms on checking and savings plan SUCK. They do not offer any competetive rates. They do have great Customer Service as everyone knows.

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks guys!

5. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I disagree

Online banks have a GREAT advantageover brick local banks. They offer better interest rates on checking account. You don't have to be an AARP member or have 3K in your checking account to earn interest.

Also in my case with Wingspan my account is totally FREE. I only buy my own checks, which last me forever because I pay my bills online for FREE. I have no monthly fee, not ATM fees and if i use a bank that charges I get reimburse $5 a month. So far this year they have reimbursed me 45.00 in ATM fees.

Netbank is paying me 6% interest on a money market account with less than 1K in it.

Bank One or LaSalle bank or any of the other banks in Chicago all treated me like crap when I first moved to Chicago and opened accounts. I was more than happy to close all my accounts after getting online accounts. They send me letters all the time trying to get me to sign back up. They can even come close to the great terms I have with the online banks.

I'm glad I jumped on the Online bank band wagon when I did. X.com was the only bump in the road, but I was the writing on the wall with them after I sat on hold with them for 45 minutes. I've never sat on hold with Wingspan or Netbank longer than 1 minute :)

6. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

I agree. My x.com account was only open for 9 months - good while it lasted, but at least I got out before I was forced out!

I signed up with NetBank and CompuBank at the same time since I couldn't decide which one was better. CompuBank never sent the email when my account was activated (had to call and ask), received my CheckCard almost a month after (had to call - they never ordered it!), so that made the decision for me. NetBank has been wonderful - constant communications, quick response, and they're LOCAL!

Did you receive the change in terms effective Dec 4? Supposed to be in my statement, but wasn't. They're mailing me another copy.