Opening a Centurion Bank Accou

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by niecy25, Nov 8, 2000.

1. niecy25

niecy25 Well-Known Member

Here is the update for today. I called to check status of my application and they told me they had to run me through a system to check my previous banking experiences(chex system). They said the check came back and they have to investigate and that I will hear from them in 5 to 7 days so it is not looking to good so far.

2. Killer

Killer Guest

RE: Opening a Centurion Bank A

Thx...keep us posted!

I don't think I'm on check systems. However, about 3 years ago my ex-wife bounced a check on our joint account. I found out about it a few months ago. She strongly believes I did it and I strongly believe she did it. I guess that's why we are divorced LOL. Anyway the bank account has been closed for almost 3 years and the bank says they don't have a copy. The bank honored the check at the time it was written and sold it to a collection agency last year. Back in 04/00, before I gained all this knowledge about disputing, I paid the collection agency. My ex-wife had a bad habit of writing checks we couldn't cover so I figured the collection agency was due the money. Do you think this got reported to chex sytems? Does it matter if the debt is paid? It stays on chex for 4 years?

3. TommyC

TommyC Guest

That good be a good sign Niecy25, because if Centurion Bank wanted to "flat-out" deny you, the wouldn't be taking the time, to further consider your application. I think that because of increased competition in the financial service industry, even the most selective creditors (American Express, Citibank, etc.)are taking the extra time, to look at applicants more carefully, rather than to rely, exclusively on what some credit scoring matrix says. Also, some mentioned earlier in a newsgroup posting (I can't remember which board--too much work I guess), that American Express, has had to show why, they are as selective as they claim to be, with the current U.S. Justice Department's case brought about by Visa and Mastercard International. This could benefit all of us, who wish to graduate to the prime world. As we say in America, "It's never over, until it's over!" So, by all means Niecy25, let us all know how you do with Centurion Bank, okay? The more inside information, we are able to share with one another, the more we all can benefit. Peace, TommyC

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong.....but I thought Chexsystems was for people who have defaulted on checking accounts?

There are also check verification places that stores use (like Scan or Telecheck) and when you bounce a check on one of them and your bank doesn't pay it, then you won't be able to write a check at any store that uses that same check verification until you pay it.

I think your fine killer.....you would know if you were on Chexsystems. You wouldn't be able to open up a banking account at almost all banks. There are banks that don't use Chexsystems though...

5. Cadillac408

I think you're right Tommy...

I'm guessing that Am/Ex Membership banking is performing an alternate verification method before they open up Niecy's account. If not, they would of flat out said NO!

I hope this is the case....if so I'll be the next one to apply.....I need to find out if they do direct deposit first....I'm sure they do so that shouldn't be a problem..

6. Killer

Killer Guest

If the bank honored the check...we never paid the bank...and the account was closed...that's not a default? This checking account was a joint account with my ex-wife. I still have a current individual checking account that I opened before I got married. Therefore, up until now I never worried if I was on chex systems. Now I need to know.

7. Cadillac408

I see....

I guess the only way to find out is to go to a bank that verifies through Chexsystems and tell them that you are interested in opening up an account but first want to find out if you are Chexsystems or not....

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: I think you're right Tommy

they do direct deposit from any employer-
    gives a nice AMEX bank card- but still have to use my Visa Gold check card for most cash back transactions - at Safeway for example - not hooked to AMEX