Opinions:Best way to dispute w/CRA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Becky, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

What does everyone feel is the best form to dispute with the CRA's. That get the best results.

(1) On line

(2) Phone

(3) By mail

After getting four different reports form different types of lenders I had my husbands reports sent to us. They still won't send mine without id proof I am who I am. (which is getting real old)

Todays mail arrived Equifax & Experian. Lo & behold. More different entries then the other 4 we have copies of. Ranging from 3/01 to 6/01.

Equifax show a CC account for my husband from a company we have never had an account with. For $148K. Wouldn't that be nice:)

Experian shows a CC reporting a ch 13 & during the same reporting time a ch7 filed. Both wrong.

There is also a CC account opened in 9/92 we never used. Closed in 4/94. Found card in the safe had forgotten we even had it. Says due to fall off 4/07. Isn't that a bit excessive?

These are just a few of the minor errors.

So let me know what you think is the best form of communication to get this rectified. Thanks

Becky

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

What does everyone feel is the best form to dispute with the CRA's. That get the best results.

(3) By mail

Some folks are reporting good results with the other two, but I prefer to use certified mail return receipt requested so I have a positive record of everything I do.
    And by the way, I teach that one should never dispute with the CRAs until they have eliminated the source of the problem which is the original creditor or the collection agency.
    After getting four different reports form different types of lenders I had my husbands reports sent to us. They still won't send mine without id proof I am who I am. (which is getting real old)

Fix it then. Here is how. First of all get 3 bills such as utility bills and take them to your attorney or a notary public and prove to them that you are who you say you are and have them fix up a letter saying you appeared before them and provided proof that you are who you say you are and live where you say you do. Any wording to that effect. Your lawyer has known you since whenever, Like that.
    Go to a copy shop and get some copies of that letter and keep the original. Then get a clean sheet of paper out of their trashcan or wherever and fold it in half once and then fold it in half again. Place your DL and your SS cards face down on the copier and in such a position that when you lay that clean sheet of paper over them, they will be in the upper left hand quadrant of the 4 marks created by the folding. Set the copier for lightest contrast and 200% blow up. Shoot a few copies and now you have all that ID problem solved with only 2 sheets of paper.
    Todays mail arrived Equifax & Experian. Lo & behold. More different entries then the other 4 we have copies of. Ranging from 3/01 to 6/01.

Equifax shows a CC account for my husband from a company we have never had an account with.For $148K. Wouldn't that be nice:)

So make them prove it's his account. It should be that simple.
    Experian shows a CC reporting a ch 13 & during the same reporting time a ch7 filed. Both wrong.

Again, make them prove it or delete it
    There is also a CC acount opened in 9/92 we never used. Closed in 4/94. Found card in the safe had forgotten we even had it.

OK, but were they charging you some kind of membership or yearly dues you never paid because you forgot you even had the card???

Says due to fall off 4/07. Is't that a bit exssive?

Looks to me like it is.
    These are just a few of the minor errors.

So let me know what you think is the best form of communication to get this rectifyed. Thanks

Do it by certified mail, return receipt requested

Becky