Opinions Plz: Which Citi card best?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jstockton, Nov 4, 2003.

1. jstockton

jstockton Member

I have a Citi Preferred Mastercard (cl = $5000) that I have had since 1989 but I don't use much due to the low credit limit and lack of benefits. I would like to call Citibank and request a different card from them with more perks and a higher limit. I primarily use my Chase Continental World Mastercard (cl = 15,000) and my Discover Platinum (cl = 14,500).

I am looking for input as to which Citi card you think is the best and why... Any thoughts are appreciated!

Also, which is the best number to call to get them to change my card over without a hard inquiry? Retention or customer service?

Thanks,

Jennifer

2. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

I have a Drivers Edge Options Platinum Select Mastercard (whew!) from Citi.

It offers 1% of your purchases as points that can be used for any auto related purchases such as oil changes and auto repairs. Sorry, gasoline is not covered.

While I won't say this is the best Citi card out there, given that everyone owns a car, and every car needs oil changes now and then, this might be a good card that you would like to have.

Regarding retention vs. Customer Service, DEFINITELY retention.

3. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

I changed my Platinum Select to Dividend Platinum Select a few months ago by calling regular customer service. Hassle free, took just a few minutes for her to read me my new terms (i.e. slightly higher APR) and no inquiry was pulled.

So from my experience there is no need to go through retention.

Dividend Platinum Select earns 1% cash rebate which is paid every time your rewards exceed $100.

4. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

I agree with mephisto. Two years ago I split some of my existing credit line on a Citi card into the Dividend PS MasterCard.

Since then, the 9,200 cl has been increased to 20,000 and this is my back-up card where ever Amex is not accepted.

I like getting the cash which have no restrictions on it unlike some other reward cards.

Chester

5. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

ChesterR,

When you split some of your CL off to the Dividend card from regular Plat Select, did you have to apply for the Dividend card, or did you just call up and ask to take a certain amount of my exisitng CL and give me a Dividend card in that amount with no application?

6. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

Niceguy,

Actually, I received an offer from Citi to carve out some of my credit line and open Dividend Card. The letter was a"pre-approval". There was no inquiry for the transaction.

Line on Citi Plat Select was $24,200. They told me I could take 50% of available credit on that card and open(convert) to Dividend. At the time, I owed zero as I try to pay balances monthly, so I decided to carve out $9,200. to open new account.

Since then cl has increased to $20,000 on the Dividend Card.

BTW, I am very happy with Citi. I also have a Diners Club and do all of my banking with them.

Regards,

Chester