orchard denies increase

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by paul, Sep 15, 2000.

1. paul

paul Guest

I asked orchard bank online for a credit line increase because the present 300.00 credit line was not worth the annual fee of 69.00 They wrote back and said since my account was only 7 months old even though it was in good standing they would have to decline.Should i close this account before feb 2 2001 so i don't get hit with another 69.00 annual fee?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

paul, i am in the same boat as you. i have a mc with them that i opened in mar of this year. they refuse increases and only say that i will get one about 9 months into the acct. i am trying to be patient and will wait them out to see what they offer me. if they don't offer an increase by the first year i will close them out. there is another alternative for you. i just rec'd a preapproved offer from bankfirst action card. their fees are a little high. 49 enrollment fee depending on your credit and an 8.95 monthly fee. they offered me a $450 cr limit unsecured of course but the great thing is that they review your acct every 3 months for an increase and the increases range from 50 to 150 every three months so i am trying them out as i think my credit limit with them would go higher sooner. also as part of their fee they offer free roadside assistance for towing, lockouts etc, also purchase protection. they have 1 million cardholders. why not give them a call their # is 1800-964-5147. it's good to have a backup in case orchard gets snooty. Hope this helps. Joe

3. paul

paul Guest

Thanks Joe!

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

While Orchard may be no bargain to start with, it's probably your best alternative right now. To close that account and start over again would put you behind almost another year. You need to build a reputation with a bank before they trust you with more credit. In addition, any new creditor would want to see a few stable accounts on your credit record, which means accounts open for at least a couple of years.

A couple of years from now, Orchard could very well have you up to $1000 or so, at a decent interest rate. Their total fees are quite a bit less than Action Card's, and it's possible that they could be waived after a few years.

I would have accepted the first offer I got from Orchard Bank, even with the $69 annual fee, except that I don't need another open line just to build credit. Capital One did the same thing to me that Orchard did to you. Apparently "up to $1500" means $300 to Orchard, and "up to $1000" means $200 to Capital One. But I'm keeping Capital One for now, and I think you should keep Orchard until you have at least two other cards that are clearly superior.

5. mick

mick Guest

I don't care what anyone says about orchard bank but this is one of the worst banks you can do business with. About 3 years ago I recieved a preapproval for a Options Mastercard with orchard bank that was a complete waste of time they only gave me $100.00 credit limit increases every six months plus the customer service telephone number was long distance I had to pay a long distance charge if I wanted to contact orchard bank about my account plus they would send the monthly statements less than a week to my mailbox meaning If I did not immediately send them a check my account would be late. My advice would be to close that account and everyone on this message board to close your account with Orchard Bank. Also my advice is to see if you can obtain another Visa or Mastercard.
    The best subprime card I ever had was
    First Consumers National Bank
    this is a secured card if you have the money this will be well worth your time. I have the FCNB Mastercard I put a $400.00 deposit after a year I had a $800.00 Credit limit and the card was unsecured after that they gave me a unsecured Visa card with a $2000.00
    limit and a FCNB prefered Card I can use at Speigle, Eddie Bauer, Newport News, Etc.
    And After 2 years I now have almost $10,000.00 dollars of credit with FCNB
    with all 3 accounts. Now that looks a lot better on your credit report than the Lousy Orchard Credit Card with few hundred dollar credit limit.

Good luck and take Care

6. FISH

FISH Guest

AGREE W/FCNB

FCNB is fantastic as you stated. I started out a couple of years ago with them. $200 secured and after one year it was unsecured and the limit keeps going up every 6 months like clock work. I have three cards with them all unsecured and the lowest limit is 1800. They will also lower the APR and annual fee if you maintain good credit with them . They are by far the best if you need to start again and then even keep if they continue doing good by you. I just got a pre-approved Eddie Bauer Master card from the with 6.9 APR for the first 6 months

7. mick

mick Guest

RE: AGREE W/FCNB

Cool!!! Congratulations on the Eddie Bauer Mastercard.

8. Parrot

Parrot Guest

you mentioned you have three accounts with them, are these all major credit cards, od are you including their department store cards as well. I have 2 major credit cards with them, and one dept store card with them. How many are you allowed to carry with this bank ? I recently recieved an offer for another visa card and since I already carry two of their major credit cards was wondering if I should send it in, any help would be appreciated.

9. Parrot

Parrot Guest

Orchard bank was recently bought out by household bank. I have had an Orchard account for quite sometime, however I'm not sure what an options account is. They have always given my fabulous service, and I've never had any problems with them, and I always pay two weeks before the due date.

10. mick

mick Guest

Me too. I also got another invitation with FCNB for another Visa card since this invitation is no better offer than I have already I will not send it in. It would be wise in the long run for you not to accept any more credit with FCNB unless you get a invitation for the Eddie Bauer Mastercard with no annual fee and a lower interest rate.
    Also I have the mastercard account for over 3 years and they lowered the interest rate to
    18.5% and waived my annual fee. It looks like they will waive the annual fee but they won't budge to lower the APR rate. I am waiting for some inquires to clear and to obtain a Good Prime Visa or Mastercard after that I will close My visa card with them and keep the mastercard since I have that card with them the longest.

11. mick

mick Guest

For some strange reason I recieved my monthly statements 7 days before due date
    the customer service is good but I only
    received $100.00 increases every six months.
    Awile back they had a Green marble colored
    mastercard that was called Options Mastercard
    I guess that was replaced with their new better of the two mastercards. What was really funny later I had a visa card with Stutsmans County State Bank and my account with them was sold to Orchard Bank same thing with that visa account the statements would arrive 7 days before due date. Which is not right my other accounts I get the statement at least 15 days before due date.
    The only benefit I got with the Visa card is a Toll Free number for customer service.
    This is before Household Bank took over.

12. FISH

FISH Guest

I have one Master card, three years now limit 3000, one visa 2 years now, limit 2100, just got another preapproved visa 3 months ago and it was for 1800. They just sent me a pre approved Eddie Bauer Master card with a 6 month 6.9 APR. I called them about the Eddie Bauer before I sent it in and the said that since the cards were different types of of acounts you could have both. They have been good at lowering the APR on all and the annual fees are only 20. This is a bank (even if it may be considered to some as subprime)that I'll keep. They have been excellent as far as I'm concerned.
    I do keep throwing away the pre approved offers for the Speigel card and regular Eddie Bauer dept. store card.

13. mick

mick Guest

How far did they lower your APR? And if you insist they will waive the annual fee in my case they deleted 1 months worth of interest.
    Get the Eddie Bauer Mastercard!!!
    I also get the preapprovals for eddie bauer, newport news, and others I just trash them as you do.
    Good Luck!!!