OT - did you go to college?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by jenz123, May 17, 2005.

1. jenz123

jenz123 Well-Known Member

and do you think it was worth it if you did?

Hedwig's mention of getting her MBA makes me regret not going to college and i'm wondering if it is worth it.

I'm 28, so i have plenty of time to work on a degree - even if it is very part time.

Thoughts?

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

It's worth it. I took a long time getting my bachelor's degree. I went at night for a while, quit, moved, went for a while, moved again, and finally got it all together and finished. You're young enough that you still have plenty of time.

Where I originally lived, I didn't feel like I needed a degree, because I had a good job. And I could always move within the company--it was a big company.

Then I moved someplace where you couldn't even get an interview most places if you didn't have a degree.

You're young enough that you will find jobs that really want someone with a degree. If you can find an employer that will pay for your school, that's even better.

3. jenz123

Not trying to discount Hedwig - but I see 22 views and only one reply.

C'mon people!

4. ih8debt

ih8debt Well-Known Member

I think it's worth it if you can do it. I only put in one year of college and decided that I liked work ($) more than school.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Find an employer that pays for school and get your degree while you're working.

Then you can go get a better job!!

6. ih8debt

My employer does pay a percentage - and I have taken some courses but it's so hard to do consistantly since I have a little girl and no one to really help out with babysitting.

7. lisa

lisa Administrator

Yes, I went to college and I do recommend it! I think when you go to college straight from HS, like I did, college is a place where you learn to learn. You learn to study. You learn to work out a problem. You learn how to understand topics previously foreign to you.

When you are unable to go to college right away, however, you get real world training. And I think going back to school makes the experience completely different from how I experienced college, yet completely valuable. You now have a foundation on which to learn. You take in more of what you learn because you can see how doing so would have made your previous experiences better... whereas for me, I'll admit, sometimes I would just memorize without understanding just to pass the tests!

Jenz123, if you are able to do so, I encourage you to go back to school. I think you will find it well worth your time (and hopefully your employer's money!)!

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

ih8debt, have you looked into anything like online schools? Perhaps something you could do from home when the kids are asleep, and you wouldn't have to worry about a sitter but could still get your education. These days, most schools have some sort of distance learning. I think you're in the greater DC area. I know U of MD University College has online courses.

9. ih8debt

That's a good idea Hedwig - I didn't know UofMD had that. Thanks for the tip!
    Now - if I could just figure out what I really want to be when I grow up!!

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Don't worry--I haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up yet, and I'll soon be thinking about retirement!!

If nothing else, take some general courses and see what you like. I got into my field because it's something I could take at night and get a degree. It wasn't what I planned on doing. But it's a good career.

11. jenz123

so, hedwig - what is your career?

FWIW, none of us here look a day over 21.

-Jen

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I'm a financial analyst for a major government contractor. I never really wanted to go into business.

I've been an accounting clerk, a budget analyst, a cost analyst, and an accountant.

I've sold insurance and securities. I've sold real estate. I've owned my own business.

Right now I'm just working for a large company and going to school. I've dropped all the outside stuff.

I may not look a day over 21, but I sure feel it!!!