OT - eating in midtown Manhattan?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by marci, Aug 29, 2003.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I will be staying in Times Square and wanted to get some recommendations for places to eat in west mid-town Manhattan. Jazz would be great. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

2. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

What kind of cuisine are you looking for? If you are going with a group (or you are SERIOUSLY HUNGRY), try Carmine's (located right off Times Square) for some great Italian served family style.

If you let me know what kind of food you are looking for, I can give you some ideas, as I work in the area...

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Any cuisine is good, though the more ethnic, the better (Brazilian, Indian, Thai, Peruvian, etc...). I really do eat just about anything.

I will be dining alone, and really just want great food with great Jazz (bop...).

Thanks a lot!

4. kingfish

I would recommend checking out http://www.newyorkmetro.com/restaurants/index.htm - it is a venture of New York magazine and has been a pretty good source for me. You can also check out Zagat.com ... I will ask some of my friends about some live jazz joints

5. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Off topic topics should be posted in the General Lounge.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Eating in midtown Manhattan can't be cheap. For some people, it could mean running up a balance. In that sense, it's on topic, LOL.

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

What are platinum cards for? Eating in midtown Manhattan!

8. kingfish

They are listed as OT, so you don't have to read them if you don't want to...isn't there a posting that needs some bad advice from you right about now??

9. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

When I was there a couple of years ago, my favorite thing by far ended up being the dogs, brats, and gyros from the sidewalk vendors. Cheap, messy, and unforgettable.

One thing you definitely need to go into a restaurant for is the cheesecake. Until you've had New York cheesecake in New York, you haven't had New York cheesecake.

Have Fun!

10. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Actually, in spite of soparkdiva's asinine comment, this is on topic. I have a couple of cards (MBNA Quantum and Citi USA Hilton Signature) that have concierge services. I'd love to use that benefit when booking reservations for food or Broadway.

I'd love to break out in a restaurant with the Black Card, though. :)

11. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Re: OT - eating in midtown Manhattan?

Kingfish,

Thanks for the New York Metro and Zagat links. Those are great!

Yes, I know. I love city street food. And I've been to NYC enough to know how delicious it can be there (I've just never visited midtown Manhattan). I can't wait to get the cheesecake, either.

BTW - has anyone tried Sylvia's in Harlem?

12. robin

robin Well-Known Member

I live in New York and if you are a real "foodie" then do not pass up Citarella The Restaurant. Enjoy... Also don't forget to order their vanilla cake for dessert. It is DIVINE.

13. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Oh one more thing if you decide to go to Citarella, make your reservation today.

14. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm checking out the website now. Looks awesome!

www.citarella.com

The location you're referring to is on 49th and Ave. of the America's, right?

Thanks,

15. Igotarock

Igotarock Well-Known Member

I don't post much because I know nothing about credit, but I know my food and music. Run to Iridium @ 1650 Broadway - right in the middle of Times Square. Great food, outstaning live jazz. And on Monday nights Les Paul plays with his trio, and there are often surprise guests. Have fun!!

16. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Wow! I wish I had known about that place when I was there! Here's the link.

I wonder if they'd let me bring in a bratwurst from a street cart. I'd buy drinks, I promise...

17. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: OT - eating in midtown Manhattan?

Cool, thanks! That Monday night trio may make me extend my trip another day (I'm supposed to leave Monday AM). :)

I got a tip from another board to check out Greenwich Village jazz events, and I found a Paul Motian (formerly with Bill Evans) set at the Village Vanguard. I just hope his trio is still booked by the time I make my trip.

http://www.villagevoice.com/nightguide/

LOL! This reminds me of when my Dad took me to a jazz club in San Francisco. I had no idea that without a cover charge, you were supposed to buy something at the bar. I really didn't want anything except to listen to the music, but my Dad had to educate me re the need for me to get a drink - after the waitress gave me an evil look! :-O

18. Igotarock

If you're willing to travel out of the midtown area, check out Detour on 13th Street & First Ave in the East Village. No food, but great jazz and nice intimate atmosphere. Also, if you make your way down to Bleecker Street you will find Terra Blues and a strip of clubs that all have live music from jazz to blues to rock. It's in the NYU area, so food is a little more reasonable than midtown.

19. kingfish

20. Igotarock

When you get to town, see if you can find a Village Voice paper. It lists absolutely everything. If you're into honky tonk & rockabilly check out the Rodeo Bar on 27th & 3rd. Great ribs, and no cover live music. You can even throw peanut shells on the floor!