Outgrowing Providian,

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by VJ, Apr 25, 2001.

1. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

And losing an old friend.
    Closed my Providian acct with mixed feelings,just needed to move on as I have one too many cc accts.
    See attached letter.

Providian
    P.O. Box 24509
    Oakland, Ca 94623-1509

RE: Providian National Bank
    Visa
    Account Number: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

To Whom It May Concern;

On April 20,2001, I closed my Visa account with your company because;

1) Interest rate was too high (16.9% APR). Example-Citibank Platium charges me
    under 10%, Nextcard under 10%, Chase Platium under 10%.
    2) No grace period for purchases with Providian.
    3) High annual fees.
    4) Months with Providian being incorrectly reported to credit bureaus as 37,not 42.
    5) Never being invited to gold card status even after asking.This is after being with
    Providian for 42 months, never being late and never being over limit and having
    only a perfect history with Providian and everone else.
    6) I was offered a credit line increase for $100.00 .I called retention to decline and was told to wait for next offer.Next offer, when it came, was exactly the same.

After calling retention and explaining I declined the first offer, so the second offer being exactly the same only served to be offensive in nature and after confirming that the account would be reported as â??Closed By Consumerâ?, I closed the account.

I would like a written conformation that;
    A) Account was closed by consumer.
    B) Account was in good standing when closed. (R-1)
    C) Account reported to credit bureaus as above.

Thank you for giving me a chance to perform when no one else would. I close this relationship with mixed feelings and hope this helps you understand my feelings.I wish you continued sucess in all of your future customers and remind you that time is of the essense.

Respectfully,
    ------------------- --------
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date

2. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Re: Mental holiday

I must really be bothered ; change last paragraph.

Thank you for giving me a chance to perform when no one else would. I close this relationship with mixed feelings and hope this helps you understand my feelings.I wish you continued success in all of your future endeavors and remind you that time is of the essence.

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Nice letter

It was good of you to take the time to write to Providian and tell them why you're closing the account. What you said was excellent. I hope they listen.

Donna

4. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

Re: Nice letter

I agree!

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Nice letter

vj,

An EXCELLENT letter. Do you mind if I swipe it for my own when I get ready to close my account? :)

You stated everything I am feeling so succintly.

I wonder if they will write back with much better terms to keep your account.

Marci