overlimit fee

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by paul, Sep 26, 2000.

1. paul

paul Guest

On sep 17 capital one charged my account a 25.00 overlimit fee than on sep 18 they charged my account another 25.00 over the limit fee.Can they do this?How many times in one billing cycle can they charge you an over limit fee?
    Comments?

2. Pat

Pat Guest

e mail me: pfmcgarry@yahoo.com and I will send you the name/ address of a guy at Capital One who will delete the over the limit fees. I won't post it, or everyone will write to him.

PM

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

they can only charge 1 overlimit fee per billing cycle. you cycle date can vary throughout the month. Usually the only time you see this happening is when you get one ol fee when your cycle closes (because you were ol the entire cycle and they gave you until your due date to bring it under the limit before charging the fee) and then no payment in received so when your new cycle opens up, you get a past due fee which generates an overlimit fee.

Also, since I work for Capital One, I am curious to know who this anonymous person is that is removing fees. Just so you know, overlimit fees can be removed from the acct, but the fact that it was overlimit cannot be removed by anyone. As for the person removing fees, it doesn't matter if I know their name or not because reports are generated and he/she will get caught and will be terminated once management realizes what is going on.

4. T

T Guest

Heather, since you work for Capital one, can you answer this question? Can you go the website and click to apply for the Olympic Card? Then, can you read the terms and conditions? What are the terms and conditions if you do not qualify for the Platinum card and get a gold card? Remember, just look at that page for the terms and condition. Any clarification would be beneficial. Thanks.

5. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Speaking on Capital One, I can't wait to close my account. If not for your retention spec. lowering my APR to 13.9%, i would have closed it a long time ago. Your program really needs some help as far as increasing credit limits and lowering APR's. I have a 2500 MC that started out at 1000 in June. I have a 300 MC from Capital One from last year. You guys need to get with the program and stop snitching on those trying to do the right thing. I have had a over the limit fee dropped, which was an error on Capital Ones part. But the fact remains that they were wrong for charging it in the first place.

Reshod

6. Pat

Pat Guest

Heather...

The gentleman who removes late fees is not doing so without Capital One's knowledge. He is a senior manager at Capital One.

As you're aware, Capital One is a state chartered bank, and thus regulated by the Federal Reserve, rather than the Comptroller of the Currency. The Capital One manager to whom I referred was the individual who resolved my complaint after the Federal Reserve contacted Capital One. I have found that a short note to him gets rid of a late fee or over the limit fee with a polite note thanking me for my business.

This is not a case of someone at Capital One cheating the bank. It is rather a matter of useful info which would lose value if I shared it with too many people.

PM

7. heather

I apologize, it was just the way that the message was worded. It sounded as if someone was being sneaky. Generally, anyone can get a fee removed if there is a legitimate reason to remove it (capital one error, first time for the fee, etc). All anyone needs to do is call and speak with a representative.

8. heather

Actually, we have improved in the past year as far as secured cards are concerned. In the past, you could not request a credit limit increase, your account was automatically reviewed twice a year. Also, when requesting a credit limit increase or to become unsecured, your entire credit history used to be a factor. Since about April, the only thing we review for both limit increases and unsecuring is the past 6 statements on the account. If on those statements, there were no past due, overlimit, or returned checks on the account then you will get the increase or unsecured. The only catch is that you can only do one or the other every 6 months.

I am not sure what kind of account you have, but I deal 95% with secured cards and the other 5% with unsecured. They vary a lot. As for the APR, yes it is high compared to unsecured cards, but they are actually very comparable to other companies as far as secured cards go. Capital One is a fairly new company and we are listening to what the customers are saying. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected.

9. heather

T-

Just to make sure I answer your question the best I can, are you speaking of the website terms and conditions or the acutal disclosure for the olympic card/platinum card? If it is the disclosure you have ?'s about, you can go to the website and click on Apply Now under the gold card and it will give you all the terms and conditions related to the gold card. If this still doesn't answer your question, please let me know and I will be happy to get more specific information for you.