Paid, Closed, Old - Can They Go Away?!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by edanib, Feb 17, 2011.

1. edanib

edanib Member

My husband and I are in the process of house hunting and I'm on a mad dash to repair what I can of my credit.

As of last month, my score was 575. I checked this morning and my scores are as follows:

Experian: 632
    Equifax: 598
    Transunion: 629

I have paid off a few more items that haven't been removed, so I expect a jump I have several items that are paid, closed and have zero balances. They range from 1999 - 2005. Is there anything I can do to remove them? I'd like to have them not show as potentially negative.

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

First, make sure the scores you're checking are FICO scores and not FAKOs.

If you have accounts that are paid and closed in good standing with 0 balances, leave them alone. You shouldn't be trying to remove them.

Now, what's the deal with the accounts you say you've paid but they haven't been removed? Did you negotiate their removal in return for payment? How are they currently reported on your credit reports? As collections or charge offs?

3. edanib

edanib Member

Thanks for your reply! I have 16 potentially negative :(

4 marked - Potentially Negative Closed
    I have filed a dispute on these

12 marked - Current Closed
    I have filed a dispute on these - 6 are duplicates!

Thus far one item has been deleted from a dispute, so fingers crossed on the others!

4. edanib

edanib Member

I'm just curious if trying to dispute if the only way to have those negative ones removed.

5. JoshuaHeckathorn

Once again, leave the current and closed accounts alone. There's no reason to try and get rid of them. In regards to the negative marks, are these collections or charge offs that haven't been paid? What exactly are you disputing about them?

Disputing through the CRAs isn't the only way to get something corrected or removed from your credit reports. You can accomplish the same thing by working directly with the information provider as well.

6. thatgirl78

thatgirl78 Member

How are you checking your scores every month?

I'm currently disputing and sending out a couple payments because 2 companies agreed to delete upon payment, so I'd like to check my score in the next month or so.

7. JoshuaHeckathorn

If you want to know your real FICO scores, get them direct from myFICO.com.

8. edanib

edanib Member

Hi,

I am disputing them, because they are potentially negative and impacting my negative score. I currently don't have any outstanding debt, yet my score is VERY low :( I wanted to see if I could delete some of these that are charge-offs, but marked as "paid/closed"