Paid Collection Removal

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by YUMMYCAKES, Sep 22, 2003.

1. YUMMYCAKES

YUMMYCAKES Well-Known Member

I have some collection accounts on my report that are paid. I want them removed. Should I contact the CRA first to dispute them? And if so, do I say they aren't mine or dispute them as paid? I really don't think they are mine but I paid them when I was getting a new car loan because the bank told me to. They are small amounts but I want them off just the same. Please help!!!

2. bizwiz41

bizwiz41 Well-Known Member

Re: Removal

1) Send a "Debt Validation" letter to Collection Agency requesting to "validate debt", i.e. provide LEGAL PROFF/EVIDENCE that you owe debt. There are plenty of samples posted in this forum. MAKE SURE YOU SEND IT CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED!

2) When you recieve "green card" back (Return Receipt) THEN dispute w/Credit Reporting Agencies, and wait for results.

3) If "verified" by CRAs, then request "Procedural Evidence" of how investigated and verified.

Right now take one step at a time:

READ AS MANY OF THE POSTS RE: DEBT VALIDATION AS YOU CAN. READ THE SAMPLE LETTERS AND CHOOSE THE MOST APPLICABLE ONE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.

Send out the "DV" letter, and dispute as soon as you receive "green card". Be sure to record dates on a calendar to ensure prompt follow up.

Let Us Know How It Goes......Good Luck

3. YUMMYCAKES

What do I dispute it as with the CRA? Paid, Unvalidated, or Not mine? Thanks!

4. bizwiz41

Re: Re: Paid Collection Removal

Start your "dispute process" with "NOT MINE". This leaves you options later if it is "verified" as yours.

Good Luck.......

5. YUMMYCAKES

What are my options if they are verified if I dispute them as, NOT MINE? THank you.

6. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Have you read the INTRO threads? :)

You can find all sorts of reasons to dispute if not mine doesn't work. "Wrong DOLA", "never owed this amount", etc. etc. you have to get creative.

There are also nutcase letters to go straight to the furnisher with.

7. 2699LAN

2699LAN New Member

Yes, I have read through all the intro threads. There is just alot of conflicting information. Some people say to dispute as "not mine". Others say not to because if they verify it as yours you can pretty much guarantee that it won't get removed. They are sorta helpful though.

8. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

LOL, thats a little backwards. In most situations it is recommended you do not dispute the FIRST time as wrong balance or never late. Then you have unwittingly admitted its yours.

Now if you have a relatively good TL, but you have just a late or two, then we sometimes recommend you try other things such as goodwill letters, or never late (which doesn't guarantee it won't be deleted - seems when we want it to stay it goes away)

9. YUMMYCAKES

They are collection accounts so, I don't think I could dispute them as never late. I will try your idea first. It seems to make more sense than the others I have read. Thanks.

10. bizwiz41

Yummy,

If they're "collection accounts-CAs", then try the "Debt Validation" letter to the "CA", then dispute as "NOT MINE" with the Credit Reporting Agency.

There are plenty of sample letters to choose from. Merely tailor the letter you feel most comfortable with to your situation.

Remember, as Denzel Washington said in "Training Day": "it's not what you know, but what you can prove"!!