paid off car loan and correct

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Jan 4, 2001.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I recently refinanced a car and while the old company is now reporting a zero balance, according to Equifax, the account is still "open". Should I dispute this as a closed account or do creditors (and the scoring model) automaticall assume that an installment account with a zero balance is closed?

Am I hurting my score by leaving this account "open"?

Thanks,

Marci

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: paid off car loan and corr

Dispute it. VCI did this to me years ago. Dispute the account saying the balance is 0 and the account should be listed as close. I did this online with equifax and it was flawless!

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify. Equifax is reporting a zero balance as well. It's just that the account is still listed as open.

I was just wondering if it made a a difference re score and debt liability with creditors for me to have an "open" zero-balance installment account or a "closed" one.

Thanks,

Marci

4. arteagle

arteagle Guest

marci....I had this problem a few months ago. I wrote a simple letter to eqifax and it was corrected without a hassle. Yes, it is hurting your score by leaving the account"open"

-----------------------------

5. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Equifax told me that an installment loan with a zero balance is the same as closed.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I would ask the credit reporting agencies to report as "ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CONSUMER"
    AND $0 BALANCE...THEN THERE IS NO QUESTION.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I have told that opened on paid installment accounts means nothing. I was concerned with that myself earlier in the year. Dont worry.

roni

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

you are one of the few who actually READ her question and answered it right. Hello!

roni

9. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

Marci