Paid Original Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greeneyez, Jul 14, 2016.

  1. greeneyez

    greeneyez Well-Known Member

    Hi All,

    So I paid a measly 15.00 to doctor's office, after having no luck / hearing anything back from the collections agency (First Federal).

    The rep on the phone was great. She gave me a conf. number over the phone and also is sending me a receipt of payment.

    Next, what forms should I send out? Should I dispute the listing on the reports, because it is paid in full? Should I simply ask for an updated report?

    Do I need to send anything to the collections agencies?

    Thanks again for the support on this forum. It's a nice feeling taking care of these debts. Today is the first time I feel like I'm making progress.

    The next hurdle we have to jump is taking care of a judgment...
  2. jam237

    jam237 Well-Known Member

    Is it reporting under the CA or the OC?

    If under the CA, did the CA update the tradeline since they received the validation request; if so, did they mark it as disputed?

    A paid collections is as derogatory as an unpaid collection; so there usually isn't a score bump from a change in the notation; usually only deletion (with some interesting exceptions, where the account was your oldest account; sometimes it falling off will reset the age dramatically - but that's the only instance that I've seen that goes against the common logic).

    If it's reporting under the CA, I would do the following.

    (a) send a reminder that you demanded validation, in accordance with the FDCPA, and that you have not heard from them. (If they've updated, and didn't mark it as being in dispute, I would advise them that they are already in violation of the FDCPA for reporting false credit information, including the fact that the tradeline is disputed.)
    (b) when I know that they received that reminder, I would dispute it through all of the CRAs.

    If they do not reply to your reminder, and verify with the CRAs, then I would send them an all-out intent to sue for the $1,000.00 for violating the FDCPA in performing collection activity after receiving a validation request.

    You have them where they would owe you a lot of money, and can't get anything since the OC took the money. Hopefully, they'll get the hint and want to be really amicable in taking care of the tradelines, instead of writing you an up to 4 digit check. :)
  3. greeneyez

    greeneyez Well-Known Member

    Jam you are awesome! Here is how it's reported on my credit report. Nothing shows on Experian or TU, just Equicrap


    Account Name:

    Account Number:

    Account Type:
    Collection Account

    Account Status:

    Monthly Payment:

    Date Opened:



    High Balance:


    Past Due:

    Payment Status:

  4. jam237

    jam237 Well-Known Member

    A medical debt may even give you more leverage, especially if you see how it's reporting to a third-party.

    The reason being, if there is anything that shows to anyone other than you, that even hints at a medical diagnosis, you can go after the CRA, CA, and OC for violating HIPPA.

    My big method would be to attack everything which is being reported as blank.

    So, terms, high balance, limit, past due, monthly payment; as well as date opened, and date of first delinquency.

    Again, hopefully, since they don't stand to get anything from continuing to report it, and if they verify any of those data points incorrectly, they would owe you, $1,000.00 for violating the FDCPA and $1,000.00 for violating the FCRA, for every time that they verify the data to the CRA.

    Collect $0.00 or payout a minimum of $2,000.00... Which would I prefer? :)
  5. greeneyez

    greeneyez Well-Known Member

    So basically, are you saying dispute this with Equifax, stating that the fields are left blank, and that this could infer a medical diagnoses of sorts? Or, are you saying dispute this with the CA. Would you state to the CRA that this information is incomplete, and inaccurate, along with being a violation of HIPPA laws?
  6. jam237

    jam237 Well-Known Member

    The blank spaces are information which is incomplete, inaccurate or unverifiable, and under the FCRA incomplete, inaccurate and unverifiable tradelines need to be deleted.

    If there is a name of the OC, I would check that with a fine tooth comb to make sure that that information doesn't relate a diagnosis.

    I would send to both, that way the CA can't say it only knew the code that the CRA sent them.

Share This Page