Paid What ??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lbrown59, Nov 15, 2001.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

The closing date on my current statement is 11-6-1.
    The due date is 12-1-1
    Amt. due is $19.oo.
    I paid $483.oo.
    The payment posted on 11-6-1.
    My question is.
    Has this statement been paid or not??????????

2. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

I'm terribly confused...forgive me.

Owe: $19.00
    Pay: 400.00+

????????

3. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

lbrown, what was your balance on the previous statement? What is it now? Is the $19 the minimum payment due, or the whole balance? What was the due date on your last statement? Did you have a late fee this month?

Sorry to bombard you with the questions, but the answers might help solve your problem.

4. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

DaveyBoy, I think the $19 was the *minimum due* amount.

5. lbrown59

19 is min. but paid more.
    Trying to pay down bal.

6. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

Gotcha...I swear, I'm not a blonde.

Still confused though...

The closing date on my current statement is 11-6-1.
    ok

The due date is 12-1-1
    ok

Amt. due is $19.oo.
    ok (shouldn't matter if it's min. or not)

I paid $483.oo.
    ok (what was total bal. due?)

The payment posted on 11-6-1.
    ok. how was this verified? checking acct or cc company? Either way, should be fine...not "due" for another month (12/1/1)

My question is.
    Has this statement been paid or not??????????

All factors seem to point to "yes". Paid way more than 19 (assuming that's min), paid way in advance of due date, and it's assumed that you have some confirmation that it's been posted.

Just looking at it w/ the facts given...seems like an odd question..

DB :)

7. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

It depends. Was the payment posted to your prior statement or your current statement? Because if it is posted as a credit on your new statement dated November 6 it was posted as a payment to the previous billing cycle. The credit card company believes you owe them another $19+ for this billing cycle which is due December 1, 2001. If it is not posted on your current statement, but posted to your account, the credit card company credited it to the current billing cycle and you owe nothing until next month.

Dani

8. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at this one. Is it possible that you are concerned that the payment will count as an extra payment for November rather than your December payment? This is possible if you made your payment before the November cut off date. Your post was unclear on this. If this is the case, then you will have to probably make at least a minimum payment for December.

9. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

I've had that confusion before. Just call your CC customer service and ask for balance, last payment, amount currently owed, etc.

Usually, it's even automated and that will tell you if this month is paid or not.

10. lbrown59

11. lbrown59

12. lbrown59

Correct I don't want it counted as an extra Pmt.

========Do you mean the closing date? If so it was 11-6-1?

13. EddKey

EddKey Member

Call Them tell them to fix the date... Its their fault anyway.. Thats what I normally do..

14. lbrown59

Usually, it's even automated and that will tell you if this month is paid or not. [/B][/QUOTE]Automated says balance $577
    last pmt.$483
    Amount currently owed $10.oo Min Pmt. due by 12-1-1 which don't make no sense.
    Statement says Min. Pmt. $19.00 due 12-1-1
    How do you pay 483 on a 19 MIN. PMT.? and still have 10 dollars left to pay?
    On the other hand if you don't pay anything how did the Min. Pmt. drop from $19.00 to $10.00.

Something is really screwy here:!

15. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

No you paid it BEFORE the statement closed. So they probably got your payment on the 5th posted it the 6th. I had this happen to me, I called the creditor and they said my timing was off by about 12 hours, so I was stuck paying again. Your best bet is to pay the $19, unless by paying the $483, you paid off the card.
    I could be completely confused. But then again maybe not :)
    Kellie

16. lbrown59

People are getting shafted on bogus late fees this way.!
    One should never have to pay a payment timing penalty!

17. lbrown59

This is payment timing and has nothing to do with being late.Therefor a late charge would be invalid.

18. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

lbrown59, you come up with the most unlikely scenarios for "how they're trying to rip me off." There is no Communist plot here. You sent that $483 at least a few days before the PREVIOUS billing period ended. They posted it promptly on the last day of the PREVIOUS statement. Most people would be happy about that, because if they HADN'T you might owe a penalty for the PREVIOUS period. (Or, perhaps you made TWO payments during the previous period, which was still your choice.) Now, you're griping because it doesn't count for the CURRENT period either. Next time you want to make a big payment, pay closer attention to the closing date, and if you're too close (which isn't smart because you risk a late fee) then reserve a small amount for the next pay period as well. My solution for you? Pay the ten bucks by December 1. You don't need a private investigator to solve this dilemma; rather, you need a spanking.

Doc

19. lbrown59

They are charging invalid late charges for things like this when you aren't late?
    They say that you can't pay in in advance, but they don't know the difference between paying in advance & paying early,so they charge you a bogus late charge in either case.and report false lates to the CRAs .

20. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

No I wasn't charged late charges. I pay AT LEAST twice a month. Ex: My billing closes on the 22nd my statement is sent out the 23rd. Normally I pay on the 23rd (in case I forget later on in the month, that way I know I have paid at least my minimum any payments I make after that (but before the 22nd of the following month) is considered "paying down the balance" it doesn't go towards next months payment.
    One time I happened to pay on the 22nd thinking it was going to go towards NEXT month, but I was off by a day. I check my online account now before I pay.
    As to your question: I would have been late if I didn't make another payment. It's not their fault I paid before they said I had to. You can always pay in advance, it will just pay down the balance.
    Kellie