parole

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tom65432, Nov 7, 2001.

1. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if a recent prison stay will be picked up as a public record on your credit report? If so, how much would that affect your score? It is not me, but a relative who just got paroled on an armed robbery but is doing well now and getting his life back together.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

credit reports do not contain criminal information.

3. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

Important lesson here.. I wouldn't suggest armed robbery to get the $$ to pay off debt. Tho it's tempting. LOL

4. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Actually, doodyhead, if you DID carry out an armed robbery to pay off your debts, we just learned that the robbery wouldn't appear on your credit files, so hey...

Good thing, too, because the disputes would be pretty awkward. "Sorry, that is NOT my armed robbery." "The amount of the robbery was wrong, please delete." "Someone else robbed that bank and said they were me." "The creditwrench used in that robbery was not mine."

Doc

5. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

Sam-

I believe reports *can* contain criminal information.

SK

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The fcra puts this in the same category as any other public record, it seems - just from reading it.

7. Katco

Katco Well-Known Member

Some civil misdemeanors go on your report also.

8. uniondiva

uniondiva Well-Known Member

your friend should check his reports. i have heard that there is a greater chance of this happening in some states (TX) than others. Just for the record, folks that I know who have convictions (misdemeanor and felony) have not seen them on their credit reports. I am in Illinois.