pay off Sallie Mae to delete n

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MrBelvedr, Aug 20, 2000.

1. MrBelvedr

MrBelvedr Guest

My student loan was sold by SLMA to USA funds. I paid off the collection agency in full. As a result I have 3 negative lines in my credit reports from sallie mae, and 6 from USA FUNDS, the collection agency.

Is is possible to give these companies some money to have them delete the negative lines from my report? What is the best strategy to do this? Who do I contact?

Thanks!

2. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

RE: pay off Sallie Mae to dele

If you've paid off all you owed them, you shouldn't give them an extra cent.

Dispute all of the negative credit lines from this mess. If all of the lines are for the same debt, you have every right to have all of them, except one removed. Chances are that you'll be able to have all of it removed. If the debt is paid off, chances are that Sallie Mae and the other agencies won't respond to the CRAs' investigations, so the lines would be removed.

3. MrBelvedr

MrBelvedr Guest

RE: paid Sallie Mae, status is

Doris-
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Doris K. wrote:
    -------------------------------

Dispute all of the negative credit lines from this mess. If all of the lines are for the same debt, you have every right to have all of them, except one removed. Chances are that you'll be able to have all of it removed. If the debt is paid off, chances are that Sallie Mae and the other agencies won't respond to the CRAs' investigations, so the lines would be removed.

4. MrBelvedr

MrBelvedr Guest

paid Sallie Mae, status now is

Right now USA funds and SLMA have a status of 'paid collection'. I am having all the credit bureaus re-investigate everything in hopes that the creditors won't respond and the items will be deleted. BUT, if they do verify the items, is it possible to pay the creditors extra to send notice to the bureaus to delete the items from my file?

Thanks!

Doris K. wrote:
    -------------------------------

5. Pat

Pat Guest

RE: paid Sallie Mae, status no

You can always try bribing the individual employee, who can fax a single sheet of paper and have the stuff deleted.

I've never tried that, but I have bullied legit stuff off my credit report when a collection agency screwed up and tried to collect an account twice (after I had paid it).

I had a lawyer threaten to sue them under the FDCPA, and the first thing they did was remove the item from my credit report.