Pay old collection??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CardKid, Apr 26, 2001.

1. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

I have a $793 fitness membership (installment account) that's due to fall off in mid-2003. I applied for AMEX. After speaking with a rep, I was told that the account is reporting "currently past due." This is the reason for the decline.

I called the lienholder of this account. If I pay, they will only update the account as a "paid" collection. It's currently reporting as an I5 with the notes indicating a collection account on my Experian report.

Lexington Law is been unsuccessful with this account. What should I do?

By the way, I have the following:
    GM Card MasterCard $1500 - new
    Gateway/HSB: $1400 - 6 months old
    Capital One Gold: $1200 - more than 1 year old
    Capital One Standard $1000 - 4 months old
    JC Penny: $1000 - new
    Target: $300 - new
    Auth User on Sears: $250
    Secured Unreported Amex Optima: $1000 - 1 year old
    (very small balance on Gateway)
    (everything else is paid to $0)
    (2 old defaulted student loans on Experian with $0 balance)

Thanks.
    CardKid

2. CardKid

Grammer error in previous post....

I meant "Lexington Law has been...."

Thanks.
    CardKid

3. no

no Guest

Amex said that they would give you a card if you paid it. Amex wont give me a card and all my collections are paid. Go Figure!

roni

4. CardKid

What bother's me the most is that I opened the Secured Optima more than a year ago. I've never been late and paid the balance off each month using their online payment service. Worst of all, my payment history was kept internally at Amex because they are not required to report to the credit reporting agencies. That sucks!

CardKid

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I closed the secured Optima in February 2001. I gave up on that card helping me get a AMEX green.

roni

6. CardKid

Roni,

I applied for Spiegel and the Fleet Smart Card on April 11, 2001. I was approved for the Spiegel card in the amount of $400.

I called Fleet at 800-570-6400 to check the status of my application and i was APPROVED for a $4,000 credit line. My highest line is only $1,500. That's made my day.

I will cancel my secured Optima and get my $1,000 with $28 in interest back from "American Excuse."

Thanks.
    CardKid

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

which credit bureau did fleet use. and where do you live....

roni

8. CardKid

I live in Georgia. I see the inquiry on my Trans Union report. They did not pull Experian. As for Equifax, I'm waiting on an update (to send to Lex Law). When it arrives, I'll post if Fleet inquired or not.

Thanks.
    CardKid

9. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Did you speak with Lex about negotating on this debt? Maybe they can pay it off and get a better reporting for you. Just a thought. . .

10. CardKid

Re: Lex Law/Johnson & Asso

Is that part of the $35 per month plan? If so, I will certainly call and allow it.

Hey, even though the program is offered by Lex Law, everything's handled by Johnson and Associates for me. Is that the case for everyone else?

CardKid

11. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Re: Lex Law/Johnson & Asso

Yes and no it is part of the plan. They will negotiate on your behalf and take a small percentage of the amount they save you. Call them and they will thoroughly explain. It just seems smart since they are the gurus with the reporting stuff. I am on the high end plan so I deal directly with Lex, not Johnson and Associates. But, I have others say they are being managed by Johnson and Associates.