Pay or not pay

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Apr 19, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out this problem I have with the $26 doctor bill. I really am clueless as how to proceed.

Summary: This is currently not reported on any Credit report. Collection agency contacted me for $26 bill to doctor. Insurance company gave me their license number (per my request) in writing, and it is expired and has been for 1 year. They are not licensed in my state, either.

They provided doctors bill with it. I had previously paid this to this collection company before their license expired. They claim to have never received this. I have my duplicates but can't get copies of checks as they were written on X.Com. X.Com promised me they would send me the copies twice in January and Feb..they never did. Now, I just get the standard we are out of business letter from X.Com and I can't get a person who seems to be able to get me copies of the dang check.

It is such a small amount, I don't even mind paying it to end this. However, I have no intention of paying an unlicensed collector. I am reporting them to the licensing bureau in that state and my AG.

My question: What do I do about the $26? Do I contact the doctor and pay them to make it go away? If I do so, will it end up on a credit report. Do I send a C&D to Collection Agency?

Thanks for your help..I need to take care of this ASAP.
    Thanks

It is such a piddly am

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Nana, since it is only 26.00 I would call and try to pay the doctor, and if he accepts then you can tell the CA it's paid tell them to deal with the doctor. Also once you pay it I doubt they will attempt to put in on your reports, but then again if they do try, save your cancelled check and account info, so you have proof it's paid.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Mom

Would you inform the doctor that the collector is operating illegally? Thanks!

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Mom

Yes I would mention that first!!

mom

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

In my original note, I said insurance company..but I meant collection company. Sorry

6. F.F.M

F.F.M Guest

A quick question?

How or where do you go to find out if a collector can collect in you state?

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Why would you

Risk a negative credit entry over $26. You still owe the Doctor. Just pay him if they will take the money. How old is the debt. Most doctors use collection agencies for recently old debts but might not turn down the payment from you. Pay the debt.But Make sure the doctor still has a valid license...lol...kidding.

roni

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

RONI

I don't owe the doctor..I paid this in full over 1 year ago...but see my statements..X.Com won't give me copies of my cancelled checks

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

F.F.M

I went to the state website for regulation of collection agencies and checked.

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

NanaC

Ok, I thought I read that you had paid someone. I understand that, but if they put that on your credit report tomorrow, the 7 years of bad credit would be worse than another $26. The principle is not to repay it. But while you are trying to figure this all out, they could just put it on your report and then you would have to battle disputing it off. $26??? I would repay it for you.

roni

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: NanaC

This collection company won't put it on..they are illegal..totally..I would sue and win big on that..the state of Illinois is already going to fine them.

It's only if the doctor went to someone else..

12. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you know what you are doing. I thought I was right my student loans and it took me 2 years to see results, even as RIGHT as I was.

Good LUck!

roni

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

:) I'll call doctor..gonna tell them it is already paid and explain their representative is operating illegally. Tell them that they authorized this company..blah blah..we'll see what happens. "Is it your general practice to hire a company operating fraudulently?" (Did I spell that right?)

I think odds are in my favor of having this handled well.

I have a clearer idea of what to do now, as well. Thaks everyone

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Good Idea!

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Part of your problem is you're doing all this over the phone and not backing it up with letters. If it's not in writing it doesn't exist.

If I were you, I'd send a validation notice to the collection company and a letter to the doctor stating that it's paid.

Put it in writing after you talk with them. By the way, if you already paid the collection agency and they didn't give the doctor his money... maybe his office would like to know that.. You know?

If I were hiring a collector and they were
    1. Illegal
    2. collecting money and not paying it to the client (eg: me) I'd fire them

Also, in your letter, put in a notice that the collecion company is operating illegally and that, after this letter, if any more collection attempts are made, then it's willingly and wantonly negligent.

Meaning: you're going to hold the doctor's office liable for the illegal collection attempts. If this keeps it up, you'll sue the doctor's office.

that'll get their attention. But you must put it in writing and send it certified, return receipt requested if you want it to have any impact.

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Without proof of paying the debt? You need to see about getting a copy of that cancelled check too before you start playing that game of Hardball!

roni

17. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Actually, I haven't done anything by phone except, when the CA call, tell them to send me the information in writing with their license number. :)

So, I haven't hurt myself there...
    Ok, won't call the doc..will write it all! Good idea..thanks

18. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Roni..they are operating illegally...I am not dealing with them at all...it's like a doctor operating without a license..

I can't get the da** check..it frustrates me no end...

19. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Marie

And, the CA has only called that once when I've talked to them..:)

20. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: Marie

P.S. Marie..thanks...you spelled it out so well and I appreciate it..

I'm having a cruddy day and it helped a bunch! ;)