Pay or not pay

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Apr 19, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

ONE more THING

I would call the doc too. Ask to speak with the office manager if there is one and explain the situation. They really need to know this. They are very busy and may innocently not read your letter or just refer you back to the agency. So many people claim they already paid the debt. They need to know about the collection agencies fraud. The doctor has the power to settle this matter. And of course send the letter to the person that you speak with for validity. That is my suggestion

roni

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

NEVERMIND

I just reread the entire thread. I misunderstood your objective. Sorry I intervened.

roni

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: NEVERMIND

it's ok roni... it certainly would help her case if she could get the check.

Here's the other way to also deal w/the doctor's office. When you talk to them, be nice but admit that the collection agencies incompetence has put your back against the wall. Admit that, sure some people say they've paid it when they haven't... but you're not one of them.

After you deal w/the issue of getting that collector off your case (by having the doctor's office recall the account)... just talk with them about how to deal w/this. After all, it is a silly amount. Not worth their time, not worth your credit. Ask them what they think is fair. Tell them in advance that you'll be sending a letter confirming the conversation and the wording may be a bit strong but you have to send one...you're sure they'll understand.. :)

treat them respectfully and nicely but be firm at the same time. fair is fair.

Keep trying to get the check. if you can't, then pay only the doctor's office directly. get a letter from them that (if you have to pay them again) that it's in full, that no collection agency has any claim to the debt, and that no adverse credit info will be put on your reports at all.

pay them again if you have to... but only as a last resort and only w/a letter from them agreeing to the above. Protect yourself this time. and honestly... a good lesson for under $30

You got a bargain :_)

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Roni, Marie

Roni...please know I totally appreciate your thoughts! Don't ever not suggest to me, o.k.???

MArie..Ok....thank you. That helps and is gives me great guidance. I will let you all know what happens! :)

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Marie and NanaC

I think that latter approach would be the easiest and the most beneficial. Since I have a LITTLE experience in "doctor's offices and handling these type of collections" , I am pretty confident that approach would work.

roni

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Marie and NanaC

Regardless of how you approach it, follow it up with a letter of confirmation. :)

And I'd immediately send a validation to the collection agency regardless. Only protects you. Technically, if the dr's office sent the account, and you pay the dr... the collection agency might put it on your report for spite. you never know.

Protect yourself. 2 validation letters to the collection agency regardless. they'd be the only ones who'd add it to your credit.

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Marie,
    The collection agency attached validation with this letter already. But, you know, it's very strange..as the payments are all crossed out in dark inck and rewritten in hand with the last one crossed off and nothing written.

It's obviously been tampered with....

So??? :) How would you approach that?

Thank you, Marie!

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

inck=ink

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: Marie

I was thinking about my own question..I would assume I would ask for an untampered validation.

Actually, I am going to reply that they are not licensed and if they continue, I will ensure they are prosecuted.

Period..

Ta-da..answered my own question

teehee